1. We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and still feel content. The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox.
2. Your silence will not protect you.
3. I decided it is better to scream. Silence is the real crime against humanity.
4. Never miss a good chance to shut up.
5. I’ve begun to realize that you can listen to silence and learn from it. It has a quality and a dimension all its own.
6. Silence is so freaking loud
7. I don’t want to be married just to be married. I can’t think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can’t talk to, or worse, someone I can’t be silent with.
8. I don’t think…” then you shouldn’t talk, said the Hatter.
9. We went down into the silent garden. Dawn is the time when nothing breathes, the hour of silence. Everything is transfixed, only the light moves.
10. Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
11. When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
12. I need to be alone. I need to ponder my shame and my despair in seclusion; I need the sunshine and the paving stones of the streets without companions, without conversation, face to face with myself, with only the music of my heart for company.
13. God is silent. Now if only man would shut up.
14. My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence.
15. Does not everything depend on our interpretation of the silence around us?
16. He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.
17. When truth is replaced by silence,the silence is a lie.
18. How much better is silence; the coffee cup, the table. How much better to sit by myself like the solitary sea-bird that opens its wings on the stake. Let me sit here for ever with bare things, this coffee cup, this knife, this fork, things in themselves, myself being myself.
19. Words can be twisted into any shape. Promises can be made to lull the heart and seduce the soul. In the final analysis, words mean nothing. They are labels we give things in an effort to wrap our puny little brains around their underlying natures, when ninety-nine percent of the time the totality of the reality is an entirely different beast. The wisest man is the silent one. Examine his actions. Judge him by them.
20. Silence is a source of Great Strength.
21. You have a grand gift for silence, Watson. It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.
22. Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence.
23. The true genius shudders at incompleteness — imperfection — and usually prefers silence to saying the something which is not everything that should be said.
24. Have you ever heard the wonderful silence just before the dawn? Or the quiet and calm just as a storm ends? Or perhaps you know the silence when you haven’t the answer to a question you’ve been asked, or the hush of a country road at night, or the expectant pause of a room full of people when someone is just about to speak, or, most beautiful of all, the moment after the door closes and you’re alone in the whole house? Each one is different, you know, and all very beautiful if you listen carefully.
25. Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.
26. As happens sometimes, a moment settled and hovered and remained for much more than a moment. And sound stopped and movement stopped for much, much more than a moment.
27. Seeing her sitting there unresponsive makes me realize that silence has a sound.
28. On the fifth day, which was a Sunday, it rained very hard. I like it when it rains hard. It sounds like white noise everywhere, which is like silence but not empty.
29. For now she need not think of anybody. She could be herself, by herself. And that was what now she often felt the need of – to think; well not even to think. To be silent; to be alone. All the being and the doing, expansive, glittering, vocal, evaporated; and one shrunk, with a sense of solemnity, to being oneself, a wedge-shaped core of darkness, something invisible to others… and this self having shed its attachments was free for the strangest adventures.
30. You are most powerful when you are most silent. People never expect silence. They expect words, motion, defense, offense, back and forth. They expect to leap into the fray. They are ready, fists up, words hanging leaping from their mouths. Silence? No.
31. Quiet is peace. Tranquility. Quiet is turning down the volume knob on life. Silence is pushing the off button. Shutting it down. All of it. – Amir
32. Talk, talk, talk: the utter and heartbreaking stupidity of words.
33. Green was the silence, wet was the light, the month of June trembled like a butterfly.
34. Lying is done with words, and also with silence.
35. I have come to believe over and over again that what is most important to me must be spoken, made verbal and shared, even at the risk of having it bruised or misunderstood.
36. I said nothing for a time, just ran my fingertips along the edge of the human-shaped emptiness that had been left inside me.
37. You gotta be careful: don’t say a word to nobody about nothing anytime ever.
38. In Silence there is eloquence. Stop weaving and see how the pattern improves.
39. I have never heard a more eloquent silence.
40. The cruelest lies are often told in silence.
41. If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel’s heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence.
42. If you can sit in silence with a person for half an hour and yet be entirely comfortable, you and that person can be friends. If you cannot, friends you’ll never be and you need not waste time in trying.
43. In the silence of the heart God speaks. If you face God in prayer and silence, God will speak to you. Then you will know that you are nothing. It is only when you realize your nothingness, your emptiness, that God can fill you with Himself. Souls of prayer are souls of great silence.
44. It is not easy to keep silent when silence is a lie.
45. Be silent or let thy words be worth more than silence.
46. Such silence has an actual sound, the sound of disappearance.
47. Silence makes idiots seem wise even for a minute.
48. I have always loved the desert. One sits down on a desert sand dune, sees nothing, hears nothing. Yet through the silence something throbs, and gleams..
49. you’d think that silence would be peaceful. but really, it’s painful.
50. Silence is the ultimate weapon of power.
51. Secrets, silent, stony sit in the dark palaces of both our hearts: secrets weary of their tyranny: tyrants willing to be dethroned.
52. If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet…maybe we could understand something.
53. There is an ocean of silence between us… and I am drowning in it
54. Sometimes there aren’t words. The silence between us is flung wide as an ocean. But I manage to reach across it, to wrap my arms around him.
55. There’s really no such thing as the ‘voiceless’. There are only the deliberately silenced, or the preferably unheard.
56. Stay with me tonight. Let me hold you even if that’s all it is. Let me keep you safe.
57. All I want is blackness. Blackness and silence.
58. My silences had not protected me. Your silence will not protect you. But for every real word spoken, for every attempt I had ever made to speak those truths for which I am still seeking, I had made contact with other women while we examined the words to fit a world in which we all believed, bridging our differences.
59. There is no sound more annoying than the chatter of a child, and none more sad than the silence they leave when they are gone.
60. Om is not just a sound or vibration. It is not just a symbol. It is the entire cosmos, whatever we can see, touch, hear and feel. Moreover, it is all that is within our perception and all that is beyond our perception. It is the core of our very existence. If you think of Om only as a sound, a technique or a symbol of the Divine, you will miss it altogether. Om is the mysterious cosmic energy that is the substratum of all the things and all the beings of the entire universe. It is an eternal song of the Divine. It is continuously resounding in silence on the background of everything that exists.