Napoleon Bonaparte was born on the 15th August 1769 and died on the 5th May 1821. He was a French military leader who rose to power during the French Revolution, at a time when he won multiple campaigns in the Revolutionary Wars. Napoleon was the Emperor of France between 1804 and 1814, as well as during the 100 days war of 1815, before the collapse of the empire.
It was during this time that Napoleon oversaw a dramatic expansion of his empire, dominating affairs in Europe and the wider world, often fighting against coalitions of other countries and successfully defeating them. His mastery of war is still studied to date and he is viewed by many as one of the greatest military commanders to have lived.
His political influence and legacy in terms of culture are celebrated as well, although by some seen as controversial. He enacted liberal reforms to many parts of Europe including Italy, Germany and the Low Countries, as well as modern-day France. Historians agree that Napoleon celebrated and expanded on the ideas of property rights, religious tolerance and equality before the law.
No matter your attitude towards his political ideals, Napoleon was a leader who inspired millions and his quotations provide an insight into this military master in our history.
1. Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
2. Courage isn’t having the strength to go on – it is going on when you don’t have strength.
3. In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.
4. Show me a family of readers, and I will show you the people who move the world.
5. Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
6. History is a set of lies agreed upon.
7. Imagination governs the world
8. If you want a thing done well, do it yourself.
9. Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide.
10. History is written by the winners.
11. If I had to choose a religion, the sun as the universal giver of life would be my god.
12.Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.
13. Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action comes, stop thinking and go in.
14. A leader is a dealer in hope.
15. Conquests will come and go but Delambre’s work will endure.
16. The only victories which leave no regret are those which are gained over ignorance.
17. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have founded empires. But on what did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded his empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for him.
18. A woman laughing is a woman conquered.
19. You don’t reason with intellectuals. You shoot them.
20. The best way to keep one’s word is not to give it.
21. Men are Moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.
22. There are but two powers in the world, the sword and the mind. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the mind
23. Let her sleep, for when she wakes, she will shake the world.
24. He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat.
25. The world suffers a lot. Not because the violence of bad people. But because of the silence of the good people.
26. The reason most people fail instead of succeed is they trade what they want most for what they want at the moment.
27. Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.
28. A picture is worth a thousand words.
29. It is the cause, not the death, that makes the martyr.
30. As for me, to love you alone, to make you happy, to do nothing which would contradict your wishes, this is my destiny and the meaning of my life.
31. Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.
32. Men are more easily governed through their vices than through their virtues.
33. China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will move the world.
34. Circumstances-what are circumstances? I make circumstances
35. When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.
36. Ability is of little account without opportunity.
37. Throw off your worries when you throw off your clothes at night.
38. Music is what tell us that the human race is greater than we realize.
39. Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..
40. Never tell your enemy he is doing the wrong thing.
41. Victory belongs to the most persevering.
42. History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
43. The hand that gives is among the hand that takes. Money has no fatherland, financiers are without patriotism and without decency, their sole object is gain.
44. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
45. Great men are meteors designed to burn so that earth may be lighted
46. The surest way to remain poor is to be honest.
47. Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
48. A true man hates no one.
49. If we could read the past histories of all our enemies we would disregard all hostility for them.
50. Courage is like love, it must have hope for nourishment.
51. The greatest danger occurs at the moment of victory
52. The best cure for the body is a quiet mind
53. The extent of your consciousness is limited only by your ability to love and to embrace with your love the space around you, and all it contains.
54. To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.
55. The only victory over love is flight.
56. In our time no one has the conception of what is great. It is up to me to show them.
57. I have seen only yoU, I have admired only yoU, I desire only You
58. A throne is only a bench covered with velvet.
59. We must laugh at man to avoid crying for him.
60. It’s the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory.