Kurt Cobain was born Kurt Donald Cobain on the 20th February 1967 and is one of the most celebrated singers, guitarists and songwriters of all time. The American was the frontman of Nirvana, an icon of a generation in the early 1990s who were into alternative rock music known as Grunge.
Cobain formed Nirvana with Kris Novoselic and Aaron Burckhard in 1987, with Burckhard being replaced by Dave Grohl in 1991, shortly before the release of their album Nevermind, which had the hit song Smells Like Teen Spirit on it. It was this song and album that launched Cobain and Nirvana into stardom, receiving critical acclaim.
These kind of tags were not something that sat well with Cobain, as he felt his message was getting lost and misinterpreted, as well as the close attention to his personal issues by the media. It was these personal issues that led to his untimely death. Struggling with heroin addiction, mental health problems, as well as the pressure of fame, Cobain ended up killing himself at the age of 27, at his home in Seattle in 1994.
Since his passing, Cobtain has been celebrated as one of the greatest rock singers of all time, consistently receiving posthumous awards such as being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
1. I’d rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
2. Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are.
3. Nobody dies a virgin… Life fucks us all.
4. Thank you for the tragedy. I need it for my art.
5. Birds scream at the top of their lungs in horrified hellish rage every morning at daybreak to warn us all of the truth, but sadly we don’t speak bird.
6. Practice makes perfect, but nobody’s perfect, so why practice?
7. If you’re really a mean person you’re going to come back as a fly and eat poop.
8. The duty of youth is to challenge corruption.
9. Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t after you.
10. I’m so happy. Cause today I found my friends. They’re in my head.
11. Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with your self esteem.
12. There are a lot of things I wish I would have done, instead of just sitting around and complaining about having a boring life.
13. I was tired of pretending that I was someone else just to get along with people, just for the sake of having friendships.
14. I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.
15. They laugh at me because I’m different; I laugh at them because they’re all the same.
16. Friends are nothing but a known enemy.
17. I mean I like to be passionate and sincere but I also like to have fun and act like a dork. Geeks unite.
18. If you die you’re completely happy and your soul somewhere lives on. I’m not afraid of dying. Total peace after death, becoming someone else is the best hope I’ve got.
19. I don’t care what you think unless it is about me.
20. I started to be really proud of the fact I was gay even though I wasn’t.
21. I would like to get rid of the homophobes, sexists, and racists in our audience. I know they’re out there and it really bothers me.
22. The finest day i ever had was when tomorrow never came.
23. Rather be dead then cool.
24. If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.
25. If my eyes could show my soul,everyone would cry when they saw me smile.
26. Before I die many will die with me and they’ll deserve it. See you in Hell.
27. If it’s illegal to rock and roll, then throw my ass in jail.
28. We’re so trendy we can’t even escape ourselves.
29. Forever in debt to your priceless advice.
30. Dreaming of the person you want to be is wasting the person you already are.
31. We have no right to express an opinion until we know all of the answers.
32. I use bits and pieces of others personalities to form my own.
33. I use bits and pieces of others personalities to form my own.
34. It’s okay to eat fish because they don’t have any feelings.
35. Life isn’t nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion.
36. I’m not mad. I’m in a perfectly happy mood, you asshole.
37. Load up our guns Bring your friends It’s fun to lose and to pretend.
38. This song is dedicated to Frank Zappa, and River Phoenix, Fred Gwynne who played Herman Munster, Dixie Lee Ray, Thomas P, Tip O’Neil, and you, dumb ass, who just threw water on me.
39. Hi, my name is Kurt Cobain, I’m homosexual, I’m a pagan, I’m a drug abuser, and I like to fuck pot-bellied pigs!
40. Drugs are bad for you. They will fuck you up.
41. Life is a waste of time and time is a waste of life, so let’s all get wasted and have the time of our lives.
42. I don’t need to be inspired any longer, just supported.
43. My heart is broke, but I have some glue, help me inhale and mend it with you.
44. I just hope I don’t become so blissful I become boring. I think I’ll always be neurotic enough to do something weird.
45. It’s better to burn out than to fade away.
46. No one is afraid of heights, they’re afraid of falling down. No one is afraid of saying I love you, they’re afraid of the answer…
47. The sun is gone, but I have a light.
48. I’m not like them But I can pretend.
49. I only remember a few things about Jimmy Carter. He had big lips and liked peanuts. I now know that Jimmy Carter was and is a good man.
50. Hey! Wait! I’ve got a new complaint! Forever in debt to your priceless advice.
51. I would love to be erased from our association with Pearl Jam or the Nymphs and other first time offenders.
52. Punk rock should mean freedom, liking and excepting anything that you like. Playing whatever you want. As sloppy as you want. As long as it’s good and it has passion.
53. I would rather be hated for what I am, then loved for what I am not.
54. I am not well read, but when I do read, I read well.
55. Words suck. I mean, every thing has been said. I can’t remember the last real interesting conversation I’ve had in a long time. Words aren’t as important as the energy derived from music, especially live.
56. Come as you are. As you were. As I want you to be.
57. I’m so happy ’cause today I’ve found my friends….They’re in my head. I’m so ugly, but that’s okay, ’cause so are you.
58. I have met many minds able to store and translate a pregnantly large amount of information, yet they haven’t an ounce of talent for wisdom or the appreciation of passion.
59. Do your own thing. Others own their own thing. If you copy too much, you’ll find yourself in late night cocktail lounge cover band limbo.
60. It’s my fault but the most violating thing I’ve felt this year is not the media exaggerations or the catchy gossip, but the rape of my personal thoughts.