1. When life gives you lemons, squirt someone in the eye.
2. The soul, fortunately, has an interpreter – often an unconscious but still a faithful interpreter – in the eye
3. Ah, what happiness it is to be with people who are all happy, to press hands, press cheeks, smile into eyes.
4. If I can see pain in your eyes then share with me your tears. If I can see joy in your eyes then share with me your smile.
5. The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God’s eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.
6. I am intrigued by the smile upon your face, and the sadness within your eyes
7. When pain brings you down, don’t be silly, don’t close your eyes and cry, you just might be in the best position to see the sun shine.
8. The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
9. For she had eyes and chose me.
10. His eyes were the same colour as the sea in a postcard someone sends you when they love you, but not enough to stay.
11. True love doesn’t need proof. The eyes told what heart felt.
12. His eyes are so intense I want to look away . . . or never look away, I can’t decide.
13. An animal’s eyes have the power to speak a great language.
14. The face is a picture of the mind with the eyes as its interpreter.
15. Only in the eyes of love you can find infinity.
16. I met a boy whose eyes showed me that the past, present and future were all the same thing.
17. The tongue may hide the truth but the eyes—never!
18. I have been finding treasures in places I did not want to search. I have been hearing wisdom from tongues I did not want to listen. I have been finding beauty where I did not want to look. And I have learned so much from journeys I did not want to take. Forgive me, O Gracious One; for I have been closing my ears and eyes for too long. I have learned that miracles are only called miracles because they are often witnessed by only those who can can see through all of life’s illusions. I am ready to see what really exists on other side, what exists behind the blinds, and taste all the ugly fruit instead of all that looks right, plump and ripe.
19. Why does he have such an unnerving effect on me? His over-whelming good looks maybe? The way his eyes blaze at me? The way he strokes his index finger against his lower lip? I wish he’d stop doing that.
20. The Artist always has the masters in his eyes.
21. Curiosity is gluttony. To see is to devour.
22. There are brown eyes in the world, after all, as well as blue, and one pair of brown that meant heaven to me as the blue had never done
23. The eyes are one of the most powerful tools a woman can have. With one look, she can relay the most intimate message. After the connection is made, words cease to exist.
24. Poets are damned… but see with the eyes of angels.
25. Almost nothing need be said when you have eyes.
26. Can you be happy with the movies, and the ads, and the clothes in the stores, and the doctors, and the eyes as you walk down the street all telling you there is something wrong with you? No. You cannot be happy. Because, you poor darling baby, you believe them.
27. When my eyes meet his gaze as we’re sitting here staring at each other, time stops. Those eyes are piercing mine, and I can swear at this moment he senses the real me. The one without the attitude, without the facade
28. If my eyes have pain, I close them; If my body aches, I rest it; If my heart breaks, I mend it; If my soul is lost, I pray for it
29. Now she looks pale and small, but her eyes make me think of wide- open skies that I have never actually seen, only dreamed of.
30. The sharpest minds often ruin their lives by overthinking the next step, while the dull win the race with eyes closed.
31. Her eyes were those of someone who’s just fallen in love, someone who sees nothing but her lover, someone who has no fear of anything. The eyes of someone who believes that every dream will come true, that reality will move if you just give it a push.
32. You shine like the sun and you move like water. Your eyes are the perfect mix of gray and brown, like fog in the woods, and you smell like lilacs in the summer. I think if you laughed, it would sound like music.
33. She looked out the window; in her eyes was the light that you see only in children arriving at a new place, or in young people still open to new influences, still curious about the world because they have not yet been scarred by life.
34. No – the light in Tamani’s eyes was much more than a reflection. It was the fire that melted her anger and devestated her resolve, every single time she saw it.
35. I see… the way you’re always searching. How much you hate anything fake or phony. How you’re older than your years, but still… playful, like a little girl. How you’re always looking into people, or wondering what they see when they look back at you. Your eyes. It’s all in the eyes.
36. You have two eyes, and two ears, but only one mouth. This is so because you are supposed to look and listen more than you talk.
37. Eyes so young, so full of pain … Two lonely drops of winter rain … And no tear could these eyes sustain … For too much had they seen.
38. His eyes were open wounds beneath his heavy brows, a blue as dark as the sea by night.
39. His eyes missed her as much as the rest of him.
40. Some don’t even watch art with their eyes nor with their mind, but with their ears, ever since they judge art by the sound of money. (
“Money rocking and rolling”)
41. We scarcely know how much of our pleasure and interest in life comes to us through our eyes until we have to do without them; and part of that pleasure is that the eyes can choose where to look. But the ears can’t choose where to listen.
42. Each time a man looks into your eyes, he is only searching to find himself; for he knows already, that he is part of you
43. I peek up at his features, at the crooked grin i want to savor, at the color in his eyes i’d use to paint a million pictures.
44. Eyes shows lies.
45. [A] person whose head is bowed and whose eyes are heavy cannot look at the light.
46. Eyes can only capture objects that already seen in mind. And mind can only see things that already written in heart.
47. His eyes are peculiar. There is nothing in them, like an eclair without the cream filling. It’s wrong, lack of cream.
48. People felt themselves watching him even before they knew that there was anything different about him. His eyes made a person think that he heard things that no one else had ever heard, that he knew things no one had ever guessed before. He did not seem quite human.
49. She had curiously thoughtful and attentive eyes; eyes that were very pretty and very good.
50. We ought to regard the present state of the universe as the effect of its antecedent state and as the cause of the state that is to follow. An intelligence knowing all the forces acting in nature at a given instant, as well as the momentary positions of all things in the universe, would be able to comprehend in one single formula the motions of the largest bodies as well as the lightest atoms in the world, provided that its intellect were sufficiently powerful to subject all data to analysis; to it nothing would be uncertain, the future as well as the past would be present to its eyes. The perfection that the human mind has been able to give to astronomy affords but a feeble outline of such an intelligence.
51. The madness of the eyes is the lure of the abyss. Sirens lurk in the dark depths of the pupils as they lurk at the bottom of the sea, that I know for sure – but I have never encountered them, and I am searching still for the profound and plaintive gazes in whose depths I might be able, like Hamlet redeemed, to drown the Ophelia of my desire.
52. [S]he stood for some moments gazing at the sisters, with affection beaming in one eye, and calculation shining out of the other.
53. Looking but not seeing is the hearing but not understanding of the eye.
54. I watch what I eat every day. I mean, who actually eats with their eyes closed?
55. Lovers’ language, give me an exact and poetic comparison to say what those eyes of Capitu were like. No image comes to mind that doesn’t offend against the rules of good style, to say what they were and what they did to me. Undertow eyes? Why not? Undertow. That’s the notion that the new expression put in my head. They held some kind of mysterious, active fluid, a force that dragged one in, like the undertow of a wave retreating from the shore on stormy days. So as not to be dragged in, I held onto anything around them, her ears, her arms, her hair spread about her shoulders; but as soon as I returned to the pupils of her eyes again, the wave emerging from them grew towards me, deep and dark, threatening to envelop me, draw me in and swallow me up.
56. Sometimes playing stupid opens your eyes to the truth.
57. She was sitting up now. My arm was around her and she was leaning back against me, and we were quite calm. She was looking into my eyes with that way she had of looking that made you wonder whether she really saw out of her own eyes. They would look on and on after every one else’s eyes in the world would have stopped looking. She looked as though there were nothing on earth she would not look at like that, and really she was afraid of so many things,
58. Beautiful places are not just a joy for the moment, while you’re there. They will become homes for you, spaces of solace and comfort, where you can close your eyes and go to. Nothing you experience will ever go away. It belongs to you now. Just feel. Don’t be afraid to feel.
59. When the heart is down and the soul is heavy, the eyes can only speak the language of tears
60. His eyes reflected the open grey of the autumnal sky.