1. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
2. We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
3. There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.
4. Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift.
5. Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.
6. Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
7. Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires.
8. I am a forest, and a night of dark trees: but he who is not afraid of my darkness, will find banks full of roses under my cypresses.
9. Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.
10. There are different kinds of darkness,” Rhys said. I kept my eyes shut. “There is the darkness that frightens, the darkness that soothes, the darkness that is restful.” I pictured each. “There is the darkness of lovers, and the darkness of assassins. It becomes what the bearer wishes it to be, needs it to be. It is not wholly bad or good.
11. A man must dream a long time in order to act with grandeur, and dreaming is nursed in darkness.
12. When you light a candle, you also cast a shadow.
13. What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.
14. Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely.
15. I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.
16. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own souls. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.
17. Time takes it all whether you want it to or not, time takes it all. Time bares it away, and in the end there is only darkness. Sometimes we find others in that darkness, and sometimes we lose them there again.
18. I do not speak as I think, I do not think as I should, and so it all goes on in helpless darkness.
19. Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
20. When you spend so long trapped in darkness, you find that the darkness begins to stare back.
21. How can I be substantial if I do not cast a shadow? I must have a dark side also If I am to be whole.
22. Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark. Begin at the beginning. Tell Gregory a story. Make some light.
23. You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun.
24. Yet, no matter how deeply I go down into myself, my God is dark, and like a webbing made of a hundred roots that drink in silence.
25. One need not be a chamber to be haunted.
26. What makes night within us may leave stars.
27. Ten years of shadows, but no longer. Light up the darkness, Majesty.
28. There is no denying that there is evil in this world but the light will always conquer the darkness.
29. Even as a child, she had preferred night to day, had enjoyed sitting out in the yard after sunset, under the star-speckled sky listening to frogs and crickets. Darkness soothed. It softened the sharp edges of the world, toned down the too-harsh colors. With the coming of twilight, the sky seemed to recede; the universe expanded. The night was bigger than the day, and in its realm, life seemed to have more possibilities.
30. I wonder if that’s how darkness wins, by convincing us to trap it inside ourselves, instead of emptying it out. I don’t want it to win.
31. I don’t need to kill goats to say things. I CAN talk.
32. I buried my head under the darkness of the pillow and pretended it was night. I couldn’t see the point of getting up. I had nothing to look forward to.
33. Too much of anything could destroy you, Simon thought. Too much darkness could kill, but too much light could blind.
34. By night, Love, tie your heart to mine, and the two together in their sleep will defeat the darkness
35. Even so, there were times I saw freshness and beauty. I could smell the air, and I really loved rock ‘n’ roll. Tears were warm, and girls were beautiful, like dreams. I liked movie theaters, the darkness and intimacy, and I liked the deep, sad summer nights.
36. The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother’s milk. Darkness will make you strong.
37. All shadows of clouds the sun cannot hide like the moon cannot stop oceanic tide; but a hidden star can still be smiling at night’s black spell on darkness, beguiling
38. No one but Night, with tears on her dark face, watches beside me in this windy place.
39. After a lifetime of darkness, I want to leave something behind that is made of light.
40. People often believed they were safer in the light, thinking monsters only came out at night. But safety – like light – is a façade.
41. Richard began to understand darkness: darkness as something solid and real, so much more than a simple absence of light. He felt it touch his skin, questing, moving, exploring: gliding through his mind. It slipped into his lungs, behind his eyes, into his mouth
42. Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world. All things break. And all things can be mended. Not with time, as they say, but with intention. So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly, unconditionally. The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
43. I mean only that I hope they find darkness or paradise without fear of it, if they can.
44. Darkness does not leave us easily as we would hope.
45. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. The latter procedure, however, is disagreeable and therefore not popular.
46. Darkness… When everything that you know and love… is taken from you so harshly… all you can think about is anger, hatred, and even revenge… and no one can save you.
47. The continuous narrative of existence is a lie. There is no continuous narrative, there are lit-up moments, and the rest is dark.
48. To fight evil, you have to understand the dark.
49. Life throws challenges and every challenge comes with rainbows and lights to conquer it.
50. In the heartfelt mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will visit us, to shine on those sitting in darkness, in the shadow of death, to guide our feet to the way of peace.
51. Some people are in such utter darkness that they will burn you just to see a light. Try not to take it personally.
52. Real things in the darkness seem no realer than dreams.
53. How terrible this darkness was, how bewildering, and yet mysteriously beautiful!
54. Nothingness lies coiled in the heart of being – like a worm.
55. The people dreamed and fought and slept as much as ever. And by habit they shortened their thoughts so that they would not wander out into the darkness beyond tomorrow.
56. Depression – that limp word for the storm of black panic and half-demented malfunction – had over the years worked itself out in Charlotte’s life in a curious pattern. Its onset was often imperceptible: like an assiduous housekeeper locking up a rambling mansion, it noiselessly went about and turned off, one by one, the mind’s thousand small accesses to pleasure.
57. Times of great calamity and confusion have been productive for the greatest minds. The purest ore is produced from the hottest furnace. The brightest thunder-bolt is elicited from the darkest storm.
58. To those who, in spite of everything, still choose goodness
59. Darkness will always try to extinguish the light. The light will always try to repress the darkness.
60. Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing, Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness; So on the ocean of life, we pass and speak one another, Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.