1. Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one’s weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart.
2. The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.
3. I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time.
4. I talk to God but the sky is empty.
5. Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.
6. Forgive me my nonsense as I also forgive the nonsense of those who think they talk sense.
7. If the only prayer you said was thank you, that would be enough.
8. Prayer is not asking. Prayer is putting oneself in the hands of God, at His disposition, and listening to His voice in the depth of our hearts.
9. Let us never forget to pray. God lives. He is near. He is real. He is not only aware of us but cares for us. He is our Father. He is accessible to all who will seek Him.
10. I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day.
11. Why must people kneel down to pray? If I really wanted to pray I’ll tell you what I’d do. I’d go out into a great big field all alone or in the deep, deep woods and I’d look up into the sky—up—up—up—into that lovely blue sky that looks as if there was no end to its blueness. And then I’d just feel a prayer.
12. You pray in your distress and in your need; would that you might pray also in the fullness of your joy and in your days of abundance.
13. The more you pray, the less you’ll panic. The more you worship, the less you worry. You’ll feel more patient and less pressured.
14. A prayer for the wild at heart kept in cages.
15. There is a God, there always has been. I see him here, in the eyes of the people in this [hospital] corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him… there is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He will forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to Him now in my hour of need. I pray that He is as merciful, benevolent, and gracious as His book says He is.
16. In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart.
17. God, grant me strength to accept those things I cannot change.
18. May God break my heart so completely that the whole world falls in.
19. I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer.
20. Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden.
21. In the silence of the heart God speaks. If you face God in prayer and silence, God will speak to you. Then you will know that you are nothing. It is only when you realize your nothingness, your emptiness, that God can fill you with Himself. Souls of prayer are souls of great silence.
22. Goodness is about what you do. Not who you pray to.
23. I want to be the best version of myself for anyone who is going to someday walk into my life and need someone to love them beyond reason.
24. I think the reason we sometimes have the false sense that God is so far away is because that is where we have put him. We have kept him at a distance, and then when we are in need and call on him in prayer, we wonder where he is. He is exactly where we left him.
25. Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
26. Go where your best prayers take you.
27. Sometimes I go to God and say, “God, if Thou dost never answer another prayer while I live on this earth, I will still worship Thee as long as I live and in the ages to come for what Thou hast done already. God’s already put me so far in debt that if I were to live one million millenniums I couldn’t pay Him for what He’s done for me.
28. When every hope is gone, ‘when helpers fail and comforts flee,’ I find that help arrives somehow, from I know not where. Supplication, worship, prayer are no superstition; they are acts more real than the acts of eating, drinking, sitting or walking. It is no exaggeration to say that they alone are real, all else is unreal.
29. Prayer may just be the most powerful tool mankind has.
30. Beauty is not who you are on the outside, it is the wisdom and time you gave away to save another struggling soul like you.
31. Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.
32. Be not forgetful of prayer. Every time you pray, if your prayer is sincere, there will be new feeling and new meaning in it, which will give you fresh courage, and you will understand that prayer is an education.
33. In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance.
34. Prayer is not an old woman’s idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.
35. I prayed for freedom for twenty years, but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.
36. The man who prays is the one who thinks that god has arranged matters all wrong, but who also thinks that he can instruct god how to put them right.
37. We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties.
38. Many people pray to be kept out of unexpected problems. Some people pray to be able to confront and overcome them.
39. The wise man in the storm prays God not for safety from danger but for deliverance from fear.
40. Those who pray for your downfall are concentrating negative thoughts towards you, without taking cognisance of the slippery ground in which they are standing, which could lead to their downfall.
41. I don’t pray because it doesn’t work. Prayer doesn’t fix anything. Bad things happen anyway.
42. Never pray for justice, because you might get some.
43. Those blessings are sweetest that are won with prayer and worn with thanks.
44. I met a boy whose eyes showed me that the past, present and future were all the same thing.
45. Pray, hope, and don’t worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.
46. She knew that was not an honest prayer, and she did not linger over it. The right prayer would have been, Lord . . . I am miserable and bitter at heart, and old fears are rising up in me so that everything I do makes everything worse.
47. Love people who hate you. Pray for people who have wronged you. It won’t just change their life…it’ll change yours.
48. For the happy man prayer is only a jumble of words, until the day when sorrow comes to explain to him the sublime language by means of which he speaks to God.
49. Lord, when I feel that what I’m doing is insignificant and unimportant, help me to remember that everything I do is significant and important in your eyes, because you love me and you put me here, and no one else can do what I am doing in exactly the way I do it.
50. Stop trying to be less of who you are. Let this time in your life cut you open and drain all of the things that are holding you back.
51. And here’s something else, another problem you might have: Suppose your prayers aren’t answered. What do you say? “Well, it’s God’s will.” “Thy Will Be Done.” Fine, but if it’s God’s will, and He’s going to do what He wants to anyway, why the fuck bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me! Couldn’t you just skip the praying part and go right to His Will? It’s all very confusing.
52. No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying. We have many organizers, but few agonizers; many players and payers, few pray-ers; many singers, few clingers; lots of pastors, few wrestlers; many fears, few tears; much fashion, little passion; many interferers, few intercessors; many writers, but few fighters. Failing here, we fail everywhere.
53. Your prayer for someone may or may not change them, but it always changes YOU.
54. If my eyes have pain, I close them; If my body aches, I rest it; If my heart breaks, I mend it; If my soul is lost, I pray for it
55. There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who do not. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living.
56. Perfect prayer does not consist in many words, silent remembering and pure intention raises the heart to that supreme Power.
57. Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living.
58. Why is it that when we talk to God we’re said to be praying, but when God talks to us we’re schizophrenic?
59. We never know how God will answer our prayers, but we can expect that He will get us involved in His plan for the answer. If we are true intercessors, we must be ready to take part in God’s work on behalf of the people for whom we pray.
60. We should seek not so much to pray but to become prayer.