Andy Warhol Quotes
1. They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.
2. Don’t pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches.
3. People should fall in love with their eyes closed.
4. When people are ready to, they change. They never do it before then, and sometimes they die before they get around to it. You can’t make them change if they don’t want to, just like when they do want to, you can’t stop them.
5. Sometimes people let the same problem make them miserable for years when they could just say, So what. That’s one of my favorite things to say. So what.
6. Art is what you can get away with.
7. As soon as you stop wanting something, you get it.
8. The idea of waiting for something makes it more exciting
9. I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want.
10. I never fall apart, because I never fall together.
11. It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
12. I’m afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning.
13. I’m afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning.
14. You have to do stuff that average people don’t understand because those are the only good things.
15. Don’t think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it’s good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.
16. Beauty is a sign of intelligence.
17. I think everybody should be nice to everybody.
18. An artist is somebody who produces things that people don’t need to have.
19. Everybody must have a fantasy.
20. Sometimes the little times you don’t think are anything while they’re happening turn out to be what marks a whole period of your life.
21. Being born is like being kidnapped. And then sold into slavery.
22. I just do art because I’m ugly and there’s nothing else for me to do.
23. Every song has a memory; every song has the ability to make or break your heart, shut down the heart, and open the eyes. But I’m afraid if you look at a thing long enough; it loses all of its meaning
24. People sometimes say that the way things happen in the movies is unreal, but actually, it’s the way things happen to you in life that’s unreal. The movies make emotions look strong and real, whereas when things really do happen to you, it’s like you’re watching television — you don’t feel anything.
25. It’s not what you are that counts, it’s what they think you are.
26. I like to be the right thing in the wrong place and the wrong thing in the right place. Being the right thing in the wrong place and the wrong thing in the right place is worth it because something interesting always happens.
27. I have Social Disease. I have to go out every night. If I stay home one night I start spreading rumours to my dogs.
28. A picture means I know where I was every minute. That’s why I take pictures. It’s a visual diary.
29. I’m not afraid to die; I just don’t want to be there when it happens
30. In the future, everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes.
31. The best thing about a picture is that it never changes, even when the people in it do.
32. And your own life while it’s happening to you never has any atmosphere until it’s a memory.
33. What’s great about this country is America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you can know that the President drinks Coke, Liz Taylor drinks Coke, and just think, you can drink Coke, too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good.
34. Fantasy love is much better than reality love. Never doing it is very exciting. The most exciting attractions are between two opposites that never meet.
35. But I always say, one’s company, two’s a crowd, and three’s a party
36. People should fall in love with their eyes closed. Just close your eyes. Don’t look and it’s magic
37. You need to let the little things that would ordinarily bore you suddenly thrill you.
38. Everyone winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight.
39. Fantasy love is much better than Reality Love.
40. I’m the type who’d be happy not going anywhere as long as I was sure I knew exactly what was happening at the places I wasn’t going to. I’m the type who’d like to sit home and watch every party that I’m invited to on a monitor in my bedroom.
41. Isn’t life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?
42. I can never get over when you’re on the beach how beautiful the sand looks and the water washes it away and straightens it up and the trees and the grass all look great. I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want to own.
43. An artist is someone who produces things that people don’t need to have but that he – for some reason – thinks it would be a good idea to give them.
44. People need to be made more aware of the need to work at learning how to live because life is so quick and sometimes it goes away too quickly.
45. Everybody has a different idea of love. One girl I know said, “I knew he loved me when de didn’t come in my mouth.
46. During the 1960s, I think, people forgot what emotions were supposed to be. And I don’t think they’ve ever remembered.
47. There are beautiful sounds in rock. Very lazy, dreamlike noises. You can forget about the lyrics in most songs. Just dig the noise, and you’ve got your sound…We’re musical primitives.
48. People’s fantasies are what give them problems. If you didn’t have fantasies you wouldn’t have problems because you’d just take whatever was there.
49. I think it would be very glamorous to be reincarnated as a great big ring on Liz Taylor’s finger.
50. Dying is the most embarrassing thing that can ever happen to you, because someone’s got to take care of all your details.
51. Actually, I jade very quickly. Once is usually enough. Either once only, or every day. If you do something once it’s exciting, and if you do it every day it’s exciting. But if you do it, say, twice or just almost every day, it’s not good any more.
52. Why do people spend their time being sad when they could be happy?
53. I love Los Angeles. I love Hollywood. They’re beautiful. Everybody’s plastic, but I love plastic. I want to be plastic.
54. I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of ‘work,’ because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don’t always want to do.
55. I never understood why when you died, you didn’t just vanish, everything should just keep going on the way it was only you just wouldn’t be there. I always thought I’d like my own tombstone to be blank. No epitaph, and no name. Well, actually, I’d like it to say ‘figment’.
56. At the times in my life when I was feeling the most gregarious and looking for bosom friendships, I couldn’t find any takers, so that exactly when I was alone was when I felt the most like not being alone… I became a loner in my own mind… I decided I’d rather be alone.
57. It’s the movies that have been running things in America ever since they were invented. They show you what to do, how to do it, when to do it, how to feel about it, and how to look how you feel about it.
58. When I look around today, the biggest anachronism I see is pregnancy. I just can’t believe that people are still pregnant.
59. I never think that people die. They just go to department stores.
60. If something’s going to happen for you, it will, you can’t make it happen. And it never does happen until you’re past the point where you care whether it happens or not.
I guess it’s for your own good that it always happens that way, because after you stop wanting things is where having them won’t make you go crazy.