Zig Ziglar was born in Mississippi on the 6th November 1926, one of 12 children to parents John and Lila. He suffered tragedy at an early age when his father passed away in 1932 and his younger sister two days later. As a young man, Ziglar entered into the armed forces, completing a Navy College Training Programme between 1943 and 1945, at the University of South Carolina.
Ziglar was a salesman, motivational speaker and author, and it is as a salesman that he started to develop his skills in speaking and writing. He was a member of the American Salesmasters group and began to travel across the country, delivering seminars. This continued and he grew in popularity, speaking at larger events and becoming a trainer of sales at companies.
Alongside his motivational speaking and training career, he was a prolific writer, creating 30 books including his first one, See You at the Top, which was published in 1975 and is still available today, despite being originally rejected 39 times. He continued to speak regularly until 2010 when he retired.
Whether you’re an entrepreneur, motivational speaker or simply someone looking for inspiration, we’ve found quotes that will resonate with you.
1. The greatest source of happiness is the ability to be grateful at all times.
2. Your attitude, not your aptitude, determines your altitude.
3. You will get all you want in life if you help enough other people get what they want.
4. You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.
5. If you are not willing to learn no one can help you. If you are determined to learn no one can stop you.
6. People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing, that’s why we recommend it daily.
7. Success comes when opportunity meets preparation.
8. Never blame anyone in your life. Good people give you happiness. Bad people give you experience. Worst people give you a lesson. And the best people give you memories.
9. Moving from survival to stability, from stability to success, from success to significance.
10. Be helpful. When you see a person without a smile, give them yours.
11. You never know when a moment and a few sincere words can have an impact on a life.
12. You can make positive deposits in your own economy every day by reading and listening to positive, life-changing content, and by associating with encouraging and hope-building people.
13. Make today worth remembering.
14. Stop selling. Start helping.
15. You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
16. Fear has two meaning; ‘Forget Everything And Run’ or ‘Face Everything And Rise.’ The choice is yours.
17. If you learn from defeat, you haven’t really lost.
18. If you aim at nothing, you will hit every time.
19. The world’s most deadly disease is hardening of the attitudes.
20. Success is dependent upon the glands – sweat glands.
21. Good things come to those who believe, better things come to those who are patient and the best things come to those who don’t give up.
22. If you can dream it, then you can achieve it.
23. Remember that failure is an event, not a person.
24. Isn’t it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?
25. A lot of people have gone further than they thought they could because someone else thought they could.
26. The most important persuasion tool you have in your entire arsenal is integrity.
27. Outstanding people have one thing in common: an an absolute sense of mission.
28. True joy comes when you inspire, encourage, and guide someone else on a path that benefits him or her.
29. Don’t count the things you do, do the things that count.
30. When you do more than you’re paid for. Eventually, you’ll be paid for more than you do.
31. When you are tough on yourself, life is going to be infinitely easier on you.
32. How you see the future is much more important than what happened in your past.
33. The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you think you can only do a little.
34. Where you start is not as important as where you finish.
35. Money isn’t the most important thing in life, but it’s reasonably close to oxygen on the ‘gotta have it’ scale.
36. Hope is the power that gives a person the confidence to step out and try.
37. We cannot start over, but we can begin now and make a new ending.
38. Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.
39. Make failure your teacher, not your undertaker.
40. Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
41. Motivation is the fuel necessary to keep the human engine running.
42. Repetition is the mother of learning, the father of action, which makes it the architect of accomplishment.
43. Put all excuses aside and remember this: You are capable.
44. You can start where you are with what you’ve got and go to wherever it is you want to go.
45. If you don’t see yourself as a winner, then you cannot perform as a winner.
46. A goal properly set is halfway reached.
47. Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.
48. The greatest cause of a poor image is the absence of unconditional love.
49. There is little you can learn from doing nothing.
50. Try to look at your weakness and convert it into your strength.
51. The great majority of people are wandering generalities rather than meaningful specifics. The fact is that you can’t hit a target that you can’t see. If you don’t know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else. You have to have goals.
52. You already have every characteristic necessary for success if you recognize, claim, develop and use them.
53. You are what you are and you are where you are because of what has gone into your mind. You change what you are and you change where you are by changing what goes into your mind.
54. When you encourage others, you in the process are encouraged because you’re making a commitment and difference in that person’s life. Encouragement really does make a difference.
55. Don’t let mistakes and disappointments of the past control and direct your future.
56. Take time to be kind and to say thank you.
57. You are the only person on earyh who can use your ability.
58. When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal; you do not change your decision to get there.
59. Getting up and moving forward is a choice.
60. Lack of direction not lack of time is the problem. We all have twenty-four hour days.