Who is Coco Chanel
Gabrielle Bonheur “Coco” Chanel was a pioneering French fashion designer whose modernist philosophy, menswear-inspired fashions, and pursuit of expensive simplicity made her an important figure in 20th-century fashion. She was the founder of the famous fashion brand, Chanel. Her extraordinary influence on haute couture was such that she was the only person in the field to be named on Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people of the 20th century.
Coco Chanel Quotes
1. The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
2. A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
3. It’s probably not just by chance that I’m alone. It would be very hard for a man to live with me, unless he’s terribly strong. And if he’s stronger than I, I’m the one who can’t live with him. … I’m neither smart nor stupid, but I don’t think I’m a run-of-the-mill person. I’ve been in business without being a businesswoman, I’ve loved without being a woman made only for love. The two men I’ve loved, I think, will remember me, on earth or in heaven, because men always remember a woman who caused them concern and uneasiness. I’ve done my best, in regard to people and to life, without precepts, but with a taste for justice.
4. A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.
5. Don’t spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door.
6. Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.
7. In order to be irreplaceacle, one must always be different.
8. You live but once; you might as well be amusing.
9. Success is most often achieved by those who don’t know that failure is inevitable.
10. Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance.
11. I don’t care what you think about me. I don’t think about you at all.
12. Fashion changes, but style endures.
13. If you were born without wings, do nothing to prevent them from growing.
14. My life didn’t please me, so I created my life.
15. A woman who doesn’t wear perfume has no future.
16. Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.
17. Where should one use perfume?” a young woman asked. “Wherever one wants to be kissed.
18. I don’t do fashion, I AM fashion.
19. There is no time for cut-and-dried monotony. There is time for work. And time for love. That leaves no other time.
20. As long as you know men are like children, you know everything!
21. I don’t understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little – if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that’s the day she has a date with destiny. And it’s best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.
22. Women think of all colors except the absence of color. I have said that black has it all. White too. Their beauty is absolute. It is the perfect harmony.
23. You can be gorgeous at thirty, charmimg at forty, and irresistible for the rest of your life.
24. The best colour in the whole world is the one that looks good on you.
25. Elegance is refusal
26. Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity.
27. How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone.
28. Adornment, what a science! Beauty, what a weapon! Modesty, what elegance!
29. I wanted to give a woman comfortable clothes that would flow with her body. A woman is closest to being naked when she is well-dressed.
30. A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life.
31. A woman can be over dressed but never over elegant.
32. Men always remember a woman who caused them concern and uneasiness.
33. Nature gives you the face you have at twenty; it is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty.
34. Only those with no memory insist on their originality.
35. Arrogance is in everything I do. It is in my gestures, the harshness of my voice, in the glow of my gaze, in my sinewy, tormented face.
36. Fashion has two purposes: comfort and love. Beauty comes when fashion succeeds.
37. The best things in life are free. The second best things are very, very expensive.
38. Passion goes, Boredom remains.
39. I don’t know why women want any of the things men have when one of the things that women have is men.
40. A beautiful dress may look beautiful on a hanger, but that means nothing. It must be seen on the shoulders, with the movement of the arms, the legs, and the waist.
41. I invented my life by taking for granted that everything I did not like would have an opposite, which I would like.
42. There are people who have money and people who are rich.
43. Everyone marries the Duke of Westminster. There are a lot of duchesses, but only one Coco Chanel.
44. Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.
45. Elegance comes from being as beautiful inside as outside.
46. There is a time for work, and a time for love. That leaves no other time.
47. Sin can be forgiven, but stupid is forever.
48. Sin can be forgiven, but stupid is forever.
49. Be classy. Anything but trashy.
50. There is nothing more comfortable than a caterpillar and nothing more made for love than a butterfly. We need dresses that crawl and dresses that fly. Fashion is at once a captapillar and a butterfly, caterpillar by day, butterfly by night
51. I imposed black; it still going strong today, for black wipes out everything else around
52. Those who create are rare; those who cannot are numerous. Therefore, the latter are stronger.
53. Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence, but of those who have already taken possession of their future.
54. Women have always been the strong ones of the world.
55. Fashion is made to become unfashionable.
56. Coquetry, it’s a triumph of the spirit over the senses.
57. There is nothing worse than solitude. Solitude can help a man realize himself; but it destroys a woman
58. I love luxury. And luxury lies not in richness and ornateness but in the absence of vulgarity. Vulgarity is the ugliest word in our language. I stay in the game to fight it.
59. Elegance does not consist in putting on a new dress.
60. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.