1. Live-tweeting your bikini wax is not vulnerability. Nor is posting a blow-by-blow of your divorce . That’s an attempt to hot-wire connection. But you can’t cheat real connection. It’s built up slowly. It’s about trust and time.
2. There is a lot to say about what Bikini Kill and other ‘riot grrrl’ bands were able to achieve when they first set out. They were not some momentary, convulsive, creative spasm of independent music. There was a very real, relevant point of view being expressed.
3. The sight of the first woman in the minimal two-piece was as explosive as the detonation of the atomic bomb by the U.S. at Bikini Island in the Marshall Isles, hence the naming of the bikini.
4. A girl in a bikini is like having a loaded pistol on your coffee table – There’s nothing wrong with them, but it’s hard to stop thinking about it.
5. I was in a band in the ’90s called Bikini Kill, and we were so freaked out about documentation then, and there was the whole thing, not just about the male gaze, but that people were going to misrepresent you… a kind fear of the mainstream that a lot of us had
6. I go to lectures and girls are finding out about Bikini Kill or Le Tigre for the first time and are like,’ This is my jam!’ It still feels fresh to them.
7. I am Armenian, so of course I am obsessed with laser hair removal! Arms, bikini, legs, underarms… my entire body is hairless.
8. Oh, how I regret not having worn a bikini for the entire year I was 26. If anyone young is reading this, go, right this minute, put on a bikini, and don’t take it off until you’re 34.
9. Half the time on vacation, if I’m in a bikini, I allow myself – I eat, like, waffles and pancakes for breakfast, so that’s me after, like, a big meal. I’m not the one that’s like, ‘Oh my gosh, I’m going to be on the beach.’
10. I just love carbs. And when I’m on vacation I definitely allow myself carbs, so it’s always funny when people are like, ‘Oh my gosh, you look great in your bikini.’ I’m like, ‘If you only knew what I had for breakfast!’
11. I’m actually most comfortable when I’m in a bikini, running around on the beach, like, no makeup. It’s really free-feeling, whereas I’m always having to get dressed up and putting makeup on.
12. It’s now taken for granted that women are in bands and you can say feminist things in your songs. But back in the early ’90s, there was a lot of violence at Bikini Kill shows that people don’t realize happened.
13. I’ve always been kind of uncomfortable just on the beach in a swimsuit. I’m never my most confident in a bikini on the beach, especially when you know people are looking at you, and they expect one thing because of what they see in the magazines, and you might not look that way. It’s always been a scary thing for me.
14. A man will go to war, fight and die for his country. But he won’t get a bikini wax.
15. I think it’s really exciting for me to see Brandi branch out. Because when you look her up and see her pictures online and see that she was this bikini model, it doesn’t tell you that she’s got a degree from the University of Michigan or that she attended the master’s program and the University of Miami.
16. Before I was a mother, if I’d been photographed in a bikini, I’d have been mortified.
17. Everyone has a different body shape, so you kind of have to figure out not only what works best for your body type, but what also makes you feel confident. Even if everyone thinks you look good in a bikini, and you don’t feel good in it, you’re not going to be at your best. If you feel great in a bikini, you can always work it.
18. I don’t mind a bikini bottom.
19. If I have to get into a bikini, then I eat carrot sticks for three days.
20. If the plane lost all my luggage, and I was somewhere sunny like Ibiza, I would just get a bikini, shorts, T-shirt, and sandals. If it was somewhere colder like New York, I’d go for jeans, jacket, and a pair of Louboutins.
21. It’s very flattering to be remembered as a Bond girl with brains and not just for looking good in a bikini. I was a fan of Sophie Marceau in ‘The World Is Not Enough.’ I think her performance was very underrated.
22. A lot of the time, we’re shooting summer campaigns in winter because they have to come out the next season. It’s the hardest to feel great in a bikini when it’s cold… so I appreciate a swimsuit shoot that’s in warm weather.
23. Trying to conceal the fact that I was a gay, effeminate, hyperactive, adopted child with a serious lisp in southern Louisiana would have been like trying to hide Dolly Parton in a string bikini!
24. I don’t wear a bikini on the beach. I walk around my house in pyjamas. I haven’t seen myself naked in the mirror for probably a decade. I’m very prudish.
25. I didn’t want to walk into WWE and be someone who just does bikini matches and played second fiddle to the guys. I wanted to stand out, make people excited to see women’s wrestling, and show them we can be better than the men.
26. I don’t care how much you’re working out; when you go to put on that bikini, you’re like, ‘Oh no!’
27. In private, I may wear a bikini, but at the public beach with my kids, I would change bathing suits because they do not want to be hanging out with some old broad in a bikini.
28. I used to be a workout fiend and I was so unhappy because I wanted to eat what I wanted to eat. So now if I know I have to be in a bikini, I’ll obviously watch what I eat for a week.
29. I used to be very shy. When I first started, I had to go to a casting, and I had to go in a bikini. I thought I was too skinny. But I went in and got the job! And that’s how I started.
30. I have cellulite. I admit it. But sometimes I just say, ‘Screw it, I am going to wear a bikini.’
31. I love summer, but my legs are so pale I can never wear shorts or a bikini.
32. Mac Face and Body foundation – I wear that even when I’m in a bikini.
33. It feels like I could go outside with a bikini thong on right now.
34. I wear clothes that most people in the Midwest would probably deem inappropriate at my age. And I rock a bikini all summer long. I know that it’s not normal, but I just don’t care. I live once.
35. I don’t work out and be healthy and want a strong body because I want to look good in a bikini. I do all of those things for me and for my health. I’m not going on the cover of ‘Maxim’ and ‘FHM’ because that’s not me.
36. Some of these actresses or public personas who are very public about their disciplined diets, more power to them. I just don’t see the point. I’m just not going to be one of those people photographed in a bikini where people are like, ‘OMG, look at Amy!’ I mean, it might be OMG, but not for the reasons I want.
37. The original way to play beach volleyball was in a bikini and board shorts, and I don’t know what else they want us to wear.
38. I don’t agree with beauty contests. I did it one time. It wasn’t embarrassing being Wonder Woman; it was embarrassing walking around on stage in a bikini. It was ridiculous, stupid, and humiliating.
39. My husband recently made me try on a bikini. A bikini is not so much a garment as a cloth-based reminder that your parts have been migrating all these years. My waist, I realized that day in the dressing room, has completely disappeared beneath my rib cage, which now rests directly on my hips. I’m exhibiting continental drift in reverse.
40. I don’t like labels. I think they conceal more than they reveal, sort of like a bikini.
41. Today, you can gain a bunch of followers doing a dance in a cute bikini, and suddenly, you’re a superstar. Or you could just be a beautiful girl posting pictures of yourself and get discovered that way.
42. I started thinking: ‘Okay, what’s wrong with wearing a bikini? I look better than I looked in quite a few years, so why not? What am I afraid of?
43. I occasionally buy a bikini, but I’m too shy to wear it.
44. This bikini made me a success.
45. I thought, If I’m so afraid of a bikini, there’s something wrong. And so I had to get back into one!
46. The bikini is the most important thing since the atom bomb.
47. By doing a masala film or wearing a bikini, I am not trying to change my image.
48. I don’t want to say, ‘This is where Im going to be in five years and Im going to get there no matter what.’ I want to leave it open. I’m not a desperate actress dying to star in a B movie in a bikini.
49. For me, fashion means dare. I don’t mind wearing a bikini. I am okay with it.
50. I have a flat tummy, but I’m not rock hard. If I’m going to be in a bikini, I’ll train more and skip desserts for a couple of weeks. But usually, I work out to feel good.
51. If people view wearing bikini as a problem, then dirt is in their mind and not in mine.
52. I’m very self conscious in a bikini, and I would never get my tummy out onstage.
53. In 2007, my life changed forever. I signed on ‘Tashan,’ a full-on glamorous masala movie, with two of the hottest and fittest actors around: Akshay Kumar and Saif Ali Khan. And me, rising out of the sea like a Bond girl, wearing nothing but a green bikini. I had nightmares of how my love handles would be on display for the whole world to see.
54. When I was 16, 17 years old, I became aware of music coming out of Olympia, Wash., which is the state capitol and about an hour south of Seattle. And there were bands like Bikini Kill and Bratmobile and Heavens To Betsy, and for the first time, I heard my story being explained to me, being sung to me.
55. Your bikini should compliment your dress, and they should work together to frame your body. It’s just like layering a T-shirt under a blazer. Just keep your proportions in mind.
56. I was shooting a bikini promotion in Mahe in the Seychelles in 1980 when there was a military coup and I, along with a roomful of other people, ended up being kidnapped and held hostage at gunpoint in a windowless room with no ventilation for 36 hours.
57. I love St. Ives and Fowey. I have childhood memories of the Headland Hotel, where ‘The Witches’ was filmed, standing on the Fistral Beach. There’s something about packing a bikini and Wellington boots – and I’m away.
58. They both go together; you can’t be in front of the camera hosting a fitness television show in front of 75 million households and not have trained 6 days per week year round – in a bikini no less.
59. I eat whatever I want. I don’t follow any diet. The reason I workout is so that I can eat. If it’s a bikini shoot, of course you should not eat a pizza a day before. Otherwise I am not a dieting kind of a person. If I am hungry, I make sure I eat.
60. To be an Instagram model, you absolutely cannot just post pictures of yourself in a bikini for the sake of people seeing you in a bikini – even if that is exactly what you are doing. No, you need to caption these photos with an inspirational quote so that people will know that you are not just a butt, you’re a gosh dang philosopher.