Tough Guys Quotes
1. The policeman must be a minister, a social worker, a diplomat, a tough guy, and a gentleman. And, of course, he’d have to be a genius… For he will have to feed a family on a policeman’s salary.
2. I played soccer my whole life. I’m kind of a heavier person, and whenever you kick and punt, no matter how limited an activity it is, my brain and shoulders are going to be OK because I didn’t play a tough guy position, but my knees took a lot of wear and tear from the kicking.
3. My dad was a Marine. He was one of the Montford Point Marines. Those are the equivalent of the Tuskegee Airmen for Marines. He’s a tough, tough guy.
4. My father was a dreamer – my hero. He was a smart, tough guy from Poland, a cutter of lady’s handbags, an old socialist-unionist who always considered himself a failure. His big line was: ‘Don’t end up like me.’
5. I made a good living being a tough guy on TV, but I’d rather laugh and joke all day long than try to be a tough guy.
6. I’ve been in fights, but that doesn’t make me cool or like a tough guy or more interesting actor, I’m not proud of it.
7. I’ve been in fights, but that doesn’t make me cool or like a tough guy or more interesting actor, I’m not proud of it.
8. I am a tough guy.
9. I didn’t think I was so tough until I did ‘Champion’; then I was a tough guy.
10. I’m a pretty tough guy, you know. I’m a pretty hard man. I’ve got a lot of compassion, but I don’t waste time with people.
11. A tough guy, to me, stands for something, and he’s not afraid to get a beating.
12. When I first started, it was a dare. Someone basically said, ‘You’re a tough guy… but I’ll bet you won’t get on a microphone in front of a bunch of people.’ I was terrified, but I did it. Once I broke the ice and got onstage and got some laughs, I thought, ‘That’s not so bad.’
13. This idea that you’re a successful tough guy if you evade taxes and deceive the state has got to change.
14. What I look for in a role is the physical. But what’s the journey emotionally? Can I take this person who is this archetypal tough guy and find the beauty?
15. There is a tendency in the media to simplify me to the point that I am somehow a tough guy. I think there is a lot more to me.
16. One of the toughest guys in the world is Randy Couture – he is the true epitome of what a tough guy is.
17. My dad was a Marine. He was one of the Montford Point Marines. Those are the equivalent of the Tuskegee Airmen for Marines. He’s a tough, tough guy. When I was 15 we had a fight, and I didn’t speak to him for 10 years.
18. I’m not a tough guy. I’m just delivering the truth and only the truth and if you can’t deal with it, too bad.
19. I’m tough when I have to be, tender when I should be. When you find a really tough guy, he’s not a predator. He doesn’t have to prove himself. Guys who have to pretend to be tough, they ain’t. I’m tough.
20. My mom used to say that I became a fighter and a scrapper and a tough guy to protect who I am at my core.
21. I’m a very tough guy, and I fight hard, and I don’t give up. And that makes me friends and that makes me enemies, and I know that.
22. But I’m not a tough guy or a street fighter for real. I’m just an actor.
23. I’m not some young tough guy trying to prove a point anymore.
24. Anybody who was in ‘The Godfather’ is a tough guy.
25. Peter is an old friend. I’m heartbroken, but he’s also a tough guy. I’m counting on him getting through this very difficult passage.
26. My father was this big, tough guy, almost heroic in proportion to me as a child. It was only later that I saw how fearful he was.
27. This idea that you’re a successful tough guy if you evade taxes and deceive the state has got to change.
28. I’ve never been a bad guy – never acted like a tough guy.
29. I’m used to being the big tough guy, the bodyguard type.
30. It’s easy to be a tough guy when no one’s going to come knocking on your door.
31. Dad’s such a tough guy.
32. Listen man, Andrei Arlovski is a tough guy, but he hasn’t fought the caliber of opponents I’ve been fighting.
33. I’m not a tough guy, but I’ll throw down just like the rest of them if I have to.
34. Eddie Alvarez, man, he’s a tough guy.
35. My dad had a ‘fro, and I didn’t. So I wore his hat and it always hit me in the face, so I just turned it around and it just stuck. It wasn’t like I was trying to be a tough guy or change the way that baseball is played. It was just that my dad wore a size 7 1/2, and I had a 6 1/4. It was just too big.
36. Bisping is a tough guy. You can’t write him off. He’s good at everything. He’s been able to beat some of the top guys out there because he can expose their weaknesses.
37. Anderson Silva is a tough guy, man. He’s dangerous. He’s got heavy hands, and he’s not afraid to throw them. He’s a dangerous opponent for anyone.
38. One night I went over to get some dope from some Hollywood tough guy. After I left, my son Scott, who was only fifteen, went over with a baseball bat to kill him. I was laughing out of one eye and crying out of the other. I thought, Who am I kidding?
39. Sinatra, here’s a guy who plays a tough guy in all his movies, but was allowed to be vulnerable when he stepped up to the microphone.
40. My father was a very tough guy with me and my brothers. He wanted to teach us a lot of discipline and life philosophy. As I became more interested in martial arts, he started teaching a lot of fighting philosophy and karate philosophy. While he was a tough father, he also knew when to be sweet and show a softer side.
41. I always felt Harrison Ford looked like he’s about to shoot himself when he’s carrying his own gun. He always looked afraid; he’s not just this tough guy, you know?
42. If they didn’t call you a tough guy, then what else would they call you? Something worse than that? I’m playing parts, and if they call you that, it’s because I played the part right.
43. I have thin skin. I’m not a tough guy.
44. Growing up in New Jersey, everyone wanted to be a tough guy. That meant baggy pants that fell down, big T- shirts, and chains. I couldn’t imagine wearing tight jeans, as I thought it was dorky. Now I look at pictures of me then and think, ‘Yeah, you looked dorky.’
45. Gabriel Gonzaga is a very solid fighter, and I’ve seen some of his fights. He’s a tough guy.
46. Sinatra slowly found a way to allow tenderness into the performance while remaining manly. He perfected the role of the Tender Tough Guy and passed it on to several generations of Americans. Before him, that archetype did not exist in American popular culture.
47. I don’t want to be remembered as just some tough guy who could take punches.
48. I don’t like to risk – I’m actually not a tough guy at all, make no mistake about it, so I’m not going to do something that I’m scared of. So, if something looks dangerous, at the time I didn’t think it was, because I’m the first person to cower away from a risk of injury if there seems to be one.
49. I’m good when I’ve got a bit of an edge, like the Clint Eastwood type of archetypal character. The tough guy that doesn’t say a lot.
50. Chris Weidman is a tough guy; he’s well rounded. He’s known for being a wrestler. He’s very good on the ground. He can knock people out standing up.
51. A common misperception of me is… that I am a tough, rough northerner, which I suppose I am really. But I’m pretty mild-mannered most of the time. It’s the parts that you play I guess. I don’t mind it. I’m not a tough guy. I’d like to act as a fair, easy-going, kind man at some point.
52. I just don’t see where Chris Weidman is going to threaten me. He’s a tough guy, but I’m better on my feet, better on the ground. He’s not going to threaten me with his wrestling.
53. Rebrasse was a good opponent, a tough guy, he took an awful lot of punches. I knew it was going to be tough. I didn’t want to run out of steam, I felt in great condition but you always have to be cautious against a guy who has never been stopped.
54. Our dad was an iron worker, a really tough guy. He raised us to be strong and stand up for ourselves. Whatever we want, we go and get it. Sometimes, you have to take it.
55. My background has made me the person I am today. It’s made me a mentally and physically tough guy.
56. I was introduced to fighting by my brother – he’s a tattooer, a tough guy – and I completely fell in love with it. I was watching fights on YouTube all the time. I would go to parties to watch UFC fights.
57. Not only is it OK for a woman to write about a tough guy, but it might even help sell him.
58. As soon as I started acting in England, I got unusual roles. Although I’m 6 foot six, and agents might standardly cast me in tough guy roles or the big guy in the back, I’ve been very blessed to do roles that makes them think twice about how they’re gonna cast me.
59. My dad was a big grinder, a tough guy. I inherited that from him.
60. Dennis Siver, he’s a tough guy.