Marilyn Monroe was born on the 1st June 1926 and is an enduring pop culture icon, who was an actress, singer and model. She developed into one of the leading sex symbols of the late 1950s and early 1960s, being typecast as the blonde bombshell character in the majority of her films. Despite only having a film career that lasted for approximately a decade, those films grossed over $200 million by the time she died on the 4th August 1962, at the age of 36.
Monroe started out modelling as a pin-up, which led to being offered contracts by major film companies 20th Century Fox and Columbia Pictures. Despite concern from some quarters about the fact she posed nude in her early career, this actually boosted her popularity and the public interest in this incredible actress. Some of her most famous films include Some Like it Hot and The Seven Year Itch.
Unknown by many is the fact that Monroe was unhappy with the contracts offered by the studios and actually set up her own production company in 1954, giving her greater power to negotiate with film studios. Sadly, Monroe had a troubled life including two marriages ending in divorce, as well as addition and depression, ending with her passing away as a result of an overdose of Barbiturates.
These quotes are known across the world and provide an insight into one of the greatest icons in pop culture.
1. I don’t forgive people because I’m weak, I forgive them because I am strong enough to know people make mistakes.
2. Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.
3. For those who are poor in happiness, each time is a first time; happiness never becomes a habit.
4. A girl doesn’t need anyone who doesn’t need her.
5. Always remember to smile and look up at what you got in life.
6. A wise girl knows her limits, a smart girl knows that she has none.
7. Just because you fail once doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything.
8. That’s the way you feel when you’re beaten inside. You don’t feel angry at those who’ve beaten you. You just feel ashamed.
9. I don’t stop when I’m tired. I only stop when I’m done.
10. Boys think girls are like books, If the cover doesn’t catch their eye they won’t bother to read what’s inside.
11. A strong man doesn’t have to be dominant toward a woman. He doesn’t match his strength against a woman weak with love for him. He matches it against the world.
12. When you’re young and healthy you can plan on Monday to commit suicide, and by Wednesday you’re laughing again.
13. Dreaming about being an actress, is more exciting then being one.
14. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.
15. Before marriage, a girl has to make love to a man to hold him. After marriage, she has to hold him to make love to him.
16. I live to succeed, not to please you or anyone else.
17. lThe nicest thing for me is sleep, then at least I can dream.
18. I don’t mind making jokes, but I don’t want to look like one.
19. I have feelings too. I am still human. All I want is to be loved, for myself and for my talent.
20. It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
21. A friend tells you what you want to hear; a best friend tells you the truth.
22. This life is what you make it. No matter what, you’re going to mess up sometimes, it’s a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you’re going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends – they’ll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come, some go. The ones that stay with you through everything – they’re your true best friends. Don’t let go of them.
23. I don’t look at myself as a commodity, but I’m sure a lot of people have.
24. I only know I want to be wonderful.
25. Always, always, always believe in yourself. Because if you don’t then who will, sweetie?
26. I learned to walk as a baby and I haven’t had a lesson since.
27. It’s far better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone – so far.
28. If you can make a woman laugh, you can make her do anything.
29. I’ve never fooled anyone. I’ve let people fool themselves. They didn’t bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn’t argue with them. They were obviously loving somebody I wasn’t.
30. Keep smiling because life is a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.
31. We are all stars but we must learn how to shine.
32. I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they’re right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.
33. If I am a star, the people made me a star.
34. Men who think that a woman’s past love affairs lessen her love for them are usually stupid and weak.
35. I think that love and work are the only things that really happen to us.
36. Beneath the makeup and behind the smile I am just a girl who wishes for the world.
37. Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
38. I’m pretty but not beautiful. I sin but I’m not the devil. I’m good but I’m not an angel.
39. Always be yourself. Retain individuality; listen to the truest part of yourself.
40. To all the girls that think you’re fat – because you’re not a size zero you’re the beautiful one. It’s society who’s ugly.
41. I am not a victim of emotional conflicts. I am human.
42. It’s nice to be included in people’s fantasies but you also like to be accepted for your own sake.
43. Sweetie, if you’re going to be two-faced, at least make one of them pretty.
44. Be real, be yourself, be unique, be true, be honest, be humble, be happy…
45. I’d like to show that I can get publicity without using my ass or getting fired from a picture.
46. I don’t know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot!
47. Your clothes should be tight enough to show you’re a woman but loose enough to show you’re a lady.
48. All a girl really wants is for one guy to prove to her that they are not all the same.
49. I want to grow old without facelifts. I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I have made.
50. If you can’t handle me at my worst you don’t deserve me at my best.
51. There isn’t anybody that looks like me without clothes on.
52. Everyone’s a star and deserves the right to twinkle.
53. I want to do the best that I can do in that moment, when the camera starts, until it stops.
54. I think there’s two things in human beings… that they want to be alone, but they also want to be together.
55. I dress for men. A woman looks at your clothes critically. A man appreciates them.
56. When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I’m already better than them anyway.
57. The way you carry yourself is influenced by the way you feel inside. You must feel attractive to be attractive.
58. She was a girl who knew how to be happy even when she was sad. And that’s important.
59. I don’t mind living in a man’s world as long as I can be a woman in it.
60. The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space.