1. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
2. We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
3. There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.
4. Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. …And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything.
5. Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.
6. Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
7. To shine your brightest light is to be who you truly are.
8. May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.
9. Whatever you are physically…male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy–all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.
10. The world isn’t split into good people and Death Eaters.
11. Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars.
12. We went down into the silent garden. Dawn is the time when nothing breathes, the hour of silence. Everything is transfixed, only the light moves.
13. Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
14. Man reading should be man intensely alive. The book should be a ball of light in one’s hand.
15. It’s the kind of kiss that inspires stars to climb into the sky and light up the world.
16. Each day brings new opportunities, allowing you to constantly live with love—be there for others—bring a little light into someone’s day. Be grateful and live each day to the fullest.
17. How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.
18. When you light a candle, you also cast a shadow.
19. I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.
20. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own souls. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.
20. When you get to the end of all the light you know and it’s time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: either you will be given something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly.
21. It may be that you are not yourself luminous, but that you are a conductor of light. Some people without possessing genius have a remarkable power of stimulating it.
22. If a man is to shed the light of the sun upon other men, he must first of all have it within himself.
23. Pointing to another world will never stop vice among us; shedding light over this world can alone help us.
24. We cast a shadow on something wherever we stand, and it is no good moving from place to place to save things; because the shadow always follows. Choose a place where you won’t do harm – yes, choose a place where you won’t do very much harm, and stand in it for all you are worth, facing the sunshine.
25. Happiness is always there. You just have to choose to see it. There’s no point dwelling in the dark and ignoring the light of the stars.
26. Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
27. Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark. Begin at the beginning. Tell Gregory a story. Make some light.
28. In a futile attempt to erase our past, we deprive the community of our healing gift. If we conceal our wounds out of fear and shame, our inner darkness can neither be illuminated nor become a light for others.
29. Shine your light and make a positive impact on the world; there is nothing so honorable as helping improve the lives of others.
30. Oh phosphorescence. Now there’s a word to lift your hat to… To find that phosphorescence, that light within — is the genius behind poetry.
31. She was bendable light: she shone around every corner of my day.
32. In Light there is Dark, and in Dark there is Light.
33. But it is the same with man as with the tree. The more he seeks to rise into the height and light, the more vigorously do his roots struggle earthword, downword, into the dark, the deep – into evil.
34. It’s hard to be a bright light in a dim world.
35. There is no denying that there is evil in this world but the light will always conquer the darkness.
36. You were born a child of light’s wonderful secret— you return to the beauty you have always been.
37. Ô, Sunlight! The most precious gold to be found on Earth.
38. You see, some people are born with a piece of night inside, and that hollow place can never be filled – not with all the good food or sunshine in the world. That emptiness cannot be banished, and so some days we wake with the feeling of the wind blowing through, and we must simply endure it as the boy did.
39. People often believed they were safer in the light, thinking monsters only came out at night.
40. Until a few days ago, humans had been little more than legend to him, and now here he was in their world. It was like stepping into the pages of a book — a book alive with color and fragrance, filth and chaos — and the blue-haired girl moved through it all like a fairy through a story, the light treating her differently than it did others, the air seemed to gather around her like held breath. As if this whole place was a story about her.
41. Too much of anything could destroy you, Simon thought. Too much darkness could kill, but too much light could blind.
42. What if I’m in charge of my own damn light switch?
43. There’s a sorrow and pain in everyone’s life, but every now and then there’s a ray of light that melts the loneliness in your heart and brings comfort like hot soup and a soft bed.
44. You have to find what sparks a light in you so that you in your own way can illuminate the world.
45. After a lifetime of darkness, I want to leave something behind that is made of light.
46. There are dead stars that still shine because their light is trapped in time. Where do I stand in this light, which does not strictly exist?
47. I have been finding treasures in places I did not want to search. I have been hearing wisdom from tongues I did not want to listen. I have been finding beauty where I did not want to look. And I have learned so much from journeys I did not want to take. Forgive me, O Gracious One; for I have been closing my ears and eyes for too long. I have learned that miracles are only called miracles because they are often witnessed by only those who can can see through all of life’s illusions. I am ready to see what really exists on other side, what exists behind the blinds, and taste all the ugly fruit instead of all that looks right, plump and ripe.
48. May your feet ever walk in the light of two suns… and may the moonshadow never fall on you…
49. Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that came down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures. And of these histories most fair still in the ears of the Elves is the tale of Beren and Lúthien
50. Love is not consolation. It is light.
51. I had forgotten how much light there is in the world, till you gave it back to me.
52. Feeling at peace, however fragilely, made it easy to slip into the visionary end of the dark-sight. The rose shadows said that they loved the sun, but that they also loved the dark, where their roots grew through the lightless mystery of the earth. The roses said: You do not have to choose.
53. Richard began to understand darkness: darkness as something solid and real, so much more than a simple absence of light. He felt it touch his skin, questing, moving, exploring: gliding through his mind. It slipped into his lungs, behind his eyes, into his mouth…
54. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. The latter procedure, however, is disagreeable and therefore not popular.
55. There are many goals but one path – the path of compassion.
56. Your need for acceptance can make you invisible in this world. Don’t let anything stand in the way of the light that shines through this form. Risk being seen in all of your glory.
57. There is strange comfort in knowing that no matter what happens today, the Sun will rise again tomorrow.
58. Those candle flames were like the lives of men. So fragile. So deadly. Left alone, they lit and warmed. Let run rampant, they would destroy the very things they were meant to illuminate. Embryonic bonfires, each bearing a seed of destruction so potent it could tumble cities and dash kings to their knees.
59. Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world. All things break. And all things can be mended. Not with time, as they say, but with intention. So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly, unconditionally. The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
60. Life throws challenges and every challenge comes with rainbows and lights to conquer it.