Karl Lagerfeld Quotes
1. What i like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.
2. Don’t sacrifice yourself too much, because if you sacrifice too much there’s nothing else you can give and nobody will care for you.
3. The only love that I really believe in is a mother’s love for her children.
4. People who do a job that claims to be creative have to be alone to recharge their batteries. You can’t live 24 hours a day in the spotlight and remain creative. For people like me, solitude is a victory.
5. Never use the word “cheap”. Today everybody can look chic in inexpensive clothes (the rich buy them too). There is good clothing design on every level today. You can be the chicest thing in the world in a T-shirt and jeans — it’s up to you.
6. We live in a dark and romantic and quite tragic world.
7. Dieting is the only game where you win when you lose!
8. One is never over-dressed or underdressed with a Little Black Dress.
9. A respectable appearance is sufficient to make people more interested in your soul
10. Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.
11. Don’t look to the approval of others for your mental stability
12. I’m very much down to earth, just not this earth.
13. People who say that yesterday was better than today are ultimately devaluing their own existence
14. I love classic beauty. It’s an idea of beauty with no standard.
15. Books are a hard-bound drug with no danger of an overdose. I am the happy victim of books.
16. Fashion is a language that creates itself in clothes to interpret reality.
17. Music gives color to the air of the moment.
18. I like to reinvent myself — it’s part of my job.
19. Clear thinking at the wrong moment can stifle creativity.
20. The iPod completely changed the way people approach music.
21. When people talk about the good old days, I say to people, ‘It’s not the days that are old, it’s you that’s old.’ I hate the good old days. What is important is that today is good.
22. Absurdity and anti—absurdity are the two poles of creative energy.
23. We need houses as we need clothes, architecture stimulates fashion. It’s like hunger and thirst — you need them both.
24. Youthfulness is about how you live not when you were born.
25. The woman is the most perfect doll that i have dressed with delight and admiration.
26. Luxury is the ease of a t-shirt in a very expensive dress.
27. I want everyone to wear what they want and mix it in their own way. That, to me, is what is modern.
28. I am a fashion person, and fashion is not only about clothes — it’s about all kinds of change
29. The secret to modeling is not being perfect. What one needs is a face that people can identify in a second. You have to be given what’s needed by nature, and what’s needed is to bring something new.
30. Forgiveness is too easy. I can forget by indifference, but not forgive. I prefer revenge.
31. Fashion does not have to prove that it is serious. It is the proof that intelligent frivolity can be something creative and positive
32. Books are a hard-bound drug with no danger of an overdose. I am the happy victim of books.
33. Like poetry, fashion does not state anything. It merely suggests
34. Reinvent new combinations of what you already own. Improvise. Become more creative. Not because you have to, but because you want to. Evolution is the secret for the next step.
35. In a meat-eating world, wearing leather for shoes and even clothes, the discussion of fur is childish.
36. Buy what you don’t have yet, or what you really want, which can be mixed with what you already own. Buy only because something excites you, not just for the simple act of shopping.
37. You cannot fake chic but you can be chic and fake fur
38. The elegance is as physical, as moral quality that has nothing common with the clothing. You can see a countrywoman more elegant than one so called elegant woman.
39. Guilty feelings about clothes are totally unnecessary. A lot of people earn their living by making clothes, so you should never feel bad.
40. Stuff your brain with knowledge.
41. Fashion and music are the same, because music express its period too.
42. When people want to be liked for what they did, they should stop.
43. Don’t overact the story of your name. Overact the story of your work.
44. I don’t like standard beauty – there is no beauty without strangeness.
45. For every book you buy, you should buy the time to read it.
46. Logos and branding are so important. In a big part of the world, people cannot read French or English–but are great in remembering signs
47. Fashion is ephemeral, dangerous and unfair.
48. I’m open to everything. When you start to criticize the times you live in, your time is over.
49. I’m very down to Earth, I’m just not from this Earth.
50. Fashion is about going ahead, not about memory.
51. The French say you get hungry when you’re eating, and I get inspired when I’m working. It’s my engine
52. I do my job like I breathe — so if I can’t breathe I’m in trouble.
53. Fashion is neither moral or immoral, but it is for rebuilding the morale.
54. I had an interview once with some German journalist—some horrible, ugly woman. It was in the early days after the communists—maybe a week after—and she wore a yellow sweater that was kind of see-through. She had huge tits and a huge black bra, and she said to me, ‘It’s impolite; remove your glasses.’ I said, ‘Do I ask you to remove your bra?
55. Fashion is about two things: the evolution and the opposite.
56. Chanel is an institution, and you have to treat an institution like a whore – and then you get something out of her
57. Forgiveness isn’t something I’m preoccupied with — turning the other cheek isn’t my trip.
58. There will never be a chanel collection without black
59. I like today and perhaps a little future still, but the past is really something I’m not interested in. So, as far as I’m concerned, I like only the past of things and people I don’t know. When I know, I don’t care because I knew how it was.
60. These are fat mummies sitting with their bags of crisps in front of the television, saying that thin models are ugly. Fashion is about dreams and illusions, and no one wants to see round women.