1. Don’t ever underestimate the power of forgiveness. I’ve seen it free people. I’ve seen it life burdens that had weighed them down and kept them from moving on.
2. True forgiveness is when you can say, ‘Thank you for that experience.’
3. Forgiveness should start now. Putting off forgiving only deepens the wound. Clinging to bitterness postpones happiness. Life is short, time is fleeting. Today is the day to forgive.
4. Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.
5. Grudges are for those who insist that they are owed something; forgiveness, however, is for those who are substantial enough to move on.
6. Forgiveness has nothing to do with absolving a criminal of his crime. It has everything to do with relieving oneself of the burden of being victim — letting go of the pain and transforming oneself from victim to survivor.
7. Listen. Slide the weight from your shoulders and move forward. You are afraid that you might forget, but you never will. You will forgive and remember.
8. The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
9. To err is human; to forgive is divine.
10. Forgiveness is the key to action and freedom.
11. Blame keeps wounds open. Only forgiveness heals.
12. There is nobility in compassion, a beauty in empathy, a grace in forgiveness.
13. Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a permanent attitude.
14. It can be hard to forgive and let go but it’s important to remember that harboring the resentment and holding a grudge can hurt you even more. The word ‘forgive’ really means to give something up for yourself not for them.
15. Forgive, forget. Bear with the faults of others as you would have them bear with yours.
16. Forgiveness liberates the soul. It removes fear. That is why it is such a powerful weapon.
17. Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
18. Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave.
19. Forgiveness is not a feeling; it is a commitment. It is a choice to show mercy, not to hold the offense up against the offender. Forgiveness is an expression of love.
20. Forgiveness is not always easy. At times it feels more painful than the wound we suffered, to forgive the one that inflicted it. And yet, there is no peace without forgiveness.
21. Forgiveness is the final form of love.
22. If we really want to love we must learn how to forgive.
23. Forgiveness is a sign that the person who has wronged you means more to you than the wrong they have dealt.
24. There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.
25. Be the one who nurtures and builds. Be the one who has an understanding and a forgiving one who looks for the best in people. Leave people better than you found them.
26. A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.
27. I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded; not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.
28. Forgiveness is the name of love practiced among people who love poorly. The hard truth is that all people love poorly. We need to forgive and be forgiven every day, every hour increasingly. That is the great work of love among the fellowship of the weak that is the human family.
29. Forgiveness is me giving up my right to hurt you for hurting me.
30. What I cannot love, I overlook.
31. I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice.
32. Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you are.
33. Sometimes what a person needs most is to be forgiven.
34. Three months ago, if you asked me, I would have told you that if you really loved someone, you’d let the go. But now I look at you, and I dreamed about Maggie, and I see that I’ve been wrong. If you really love someone, Allie, I think you take them back.
35. In love, everyone does things that hurt the other person, so there is really no ‘Right’ and ‘Wrong’. You just have to decide what you’re willing to forgive.
36. You cannot forgive just once, forgiveness is a daily practice.
37. Nothing releases like forgive. Nothing renews like forget.
38. To forgive is wisdom, to forget is genius. Because it’s true. It’s a new world every heartbeat.
39. Forgiveness is the giving, and so the receiving, of life.
40. If he can’t handle you at your worst then he does not deserve you at your best. Real love means seeing beyond the words spoken out of pain, and instead seeing a person’s soul.
41. Like a loving spouse who occasionally doesn’t feel so loving, we ask for forgiveness and come back into relationship.
42. But sorry is the Kool-Aid of human emotions. True sorrow is as rare as true love.
43. Saying ‘I’m sorry’ is saying ‘I love you’ with a wounded heart in one hand and your smothered pride in the other.
44. Apologizing does not always mean that you are wrong and the other person is right. It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.
45. Forgive me. Forgive this fool. Sorry that I acted so cruel. I love you and love only you. Take my hand and let’s start anew.
46. Let us forgive each other — only then will we live in peace.
47. Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them.
48. I have learned that sometimes ‘sorry’ is not enough. Sometimes you actually have to change.
49. I’m not perfect. Remember that, and try to forgive me when I fail you.
50. Never forget the nine most important words of any family — I love you. You are beautiful. Please forgive me.
51. In this life, when you deny someone an apology, you will remember it at time you beg forgiveness.
52. Would ‘sorry’ have made a difference? Does it ever? It’s just a word. One word against a thousand actions.
53. An apology is the super glue of life. It can repair just about anything.
54. More people should apologize, and more people should accept apologies when sincerely made.
55. In some families, please is described as the magic word. In our house, however, it was sorry.
56. Any good apology has 3 parts: 1) I’m sorry; 2) It’s my fault; 3) What can I do to make it right? Most people forget the third part.
57. We ask for forgiveness. And we forgive others who ask us. In that way we can experience healing, healing in our souls.
58. Certainly people make mistakes in their life. I’m no different, I’ve made mistakes. When people mess up, forgive them. When I mess up, I ask for forgiveness.
59. It takes a strong person to say sorry, and an ever stronger person to forgive.
60. Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.