Quotes About Envy
1. They’ll either want to kill you, kiss you, or be you.
2. I envy people that know love. That have someone who takes them as they are.
3. Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.
4. Four be the things I am wiser to know:
Idleness, sorrow, a friend, and a foe.
Four be the things I’d been better without:
Love, curiosity, freckles, and doubt.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
Three be the things I shall have till I die:
Laughter and hope and a sock in the eye.
5. Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.
6. Anger, resentment and jealousy doesn’t change the heart of others– it only changes yours.
7. Manifest plainness,
Have few desires.
8. We ruined each other by being together. We destroyed each other’s dreams.
9. The only thing more frustrating than slanderers is those foolish enough to listen to them.
10. Envy is the religion of the mediocre. It comforts them, it soothes their worries, and finally it rots their souls, allowing them to justify their meanness and their greed until they believe these to be virtues. Such people are convinced that the doors of heaven will be opened only to poor wretches like themselves who go through life without leaving any trace but their threadbare attempts to belittle others and to exclude – and destroy if possible – those who, by the simple fact of their existence, show up their own poorness of spirit, mind, and guts. Blessed be the one at whom the fools bark, because his soul will never belong to them.
11. He was a mystery to her, and every time she tried to solve him it caused her a little more pain. But when she tired to give him up he pursued her in her thoughts, stronger each time.
12. Those people, who hate you, envy your freedom.
13. There is a magnificent, beautiful, wonderful painting in front of you! It is intricate, detailed, a painstaking labor of devotion and love! The colors are like no other, they swim and leap, they trickle and embellish! And yet you choose to fixate your eyes on the small fly which has landed on it! Why do you do such a thing?
14. The motive behind criticism often determines its validity. Those who care criticize where necessary. Those who envy criticize the moment they think that they have found a weak spot.
15. There is perhaps no phenomenon which contains so much destructive feeling as ‘moral indignation,’ which permits envy or hate to be acted out under the guise of virtue.
16. Envy, after all, comes from wanting something that isn’t yours. But grief comes from losing something you’ve already had.
17. A poet should be so crafty with words that he is envied even for his pains.
18. There was no pleasure like being envied on a mass scale.
19. Creative people are often found either disagreeable or intimidating by mediocrities.
20. Greed, envy, sloth, pride and gluttony: these are not vices anymore. No, these are marketing tools. Lust is our way of life. Envy is just a nudge towards another sale. Even in our relationships we consume each other, each of us looking for what we can get out of the other. Our appetites are often satisfied at the expense of those around us. In a dog-eat-dog world we lose part of our humanity.
21. Our envy always lasts longer than the happiness of those we envy.
22. To find out a girl’s faults, praise her to her girlfriends.
23. Nothing is as obnoxious as other people’s luck.
24. Everyone says love hurts, but that is not true. Loneliness hurts. Rejection hurts. Losing someone hurts. Envy hurts. Everyone gets these things confused with love, but in reality love is the only thing in this world that covers up all pain and makes someone feel wonderful again. Love is the only thing in this world that does not hurt.
25. Years from now, when I’m successful and happy, …and he’s in prison… I hope I’m not too mature to gloat.
26. If you swim effortlessly in the deep oceans, ride the waves to and from the shore, if you can breathe under water and dine on the deep treasures of the seas; mark my words, those who dwell on the rocks carrying nets will try to reel you into their catch. The last thing they want is for you to thrive in your habitat because they stand in their atmosphere where they beg and gasp for some air.
27. If you walk on sunlight, bathe in moonlight, breathe in a golden air and exhale a Midas’ touch; mark my words, those who exist in the shadows will try to pull you into the darkness with them. The last thing that they want is for you to see the wonder of your life because they can’t see theirs.
28. When you have wit of your own, it’s a pleasure to credit other people for theirs.
29. It is in the character of very few men to honor without envy a friend who has prospered.
30. The way you think about yourself determines your reality. You are not being hurt by the way people think about you. Many of those people are a reflection of how you think about yourself.
31. If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, you can bet the water bill is higher.
32. Blessed is he who has learned to admire but not envy, to follow but not imitate, to praise but not flatter, and to lead but not manipulate.
33. There is no disappointment so numbing…as someone no better than you achieving more.
34. Envy is for people who don’t have the self-esteem to be jealous.
35. When emerging from humble beginnings, those around you tend to underestimate your authenticity because they knew you before you were ‘somebody’.
36. One hand was behind his back, and he held it out, presenting a bouquet of white and smoky purple lilies.
“They’re straight from the underworld, by the way. They are everlasting. They won’t die.
37. Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die.
38. The only difference between man and man all the world over is one of degree, and not of kind, even as there is between trees of the same species.
Where in is the cause for anger, envy or discrimination?
39. [M]en, though they know full well how much women are worth and how great the benefits we bring them, nonetheless seek to destroy us out of envy for our merits. It’s just like the crow, when it produces white nestlings: it is so stricken by envy, knowing how black it is itself, that it kills its own offspring out of pique.
40. To feel envy is human, to savour schadenfreude is devilish.
41. Heart-stopping envy is the sincerest form of flattery.
42. The bittersweet about truth is that nothing could be more hurtful, yet nothing could be more helpful.
43. No bird ever looked at a plane in envy
44. There will always be haters. And the more you grow the more they hate; the more they hate the more you grow.
45. In the land where excellence is commended, not envied, where weakness is aided, not mocked, there is no question as to how its inhabitants are all superhuman.
46. A narcissist is someone better looking than you are.
47. …There are also those who inadvertently grant power to another man’s words by continuously trying to spite him. If a man gets to the point where he can simply say, ‘The sky is blue,’ and people indignantly rush up trying to refute him saying, ‘No, the sky is light blue,’ then, whether they realize it or not, he has become an authority figure even to such adversaries.
48. I had some ambition. I meant everything to be different with me. I thought I had more strength and mastery. But the most terrible obstacles are such as nobody can see except oneself.
49. If I were to envy any persons on this planet, it would be mountain hermits. You often hear old platitudes such as, ‘Speak out. Be heard.’ On the contrary, a breath of fresh air would be something like: ‘Silence, think for at least 15 minutes, and then maybe speak out.
50. I am Envy…I cannot read and therefore wish all books burned.
51. Beware of those who criticize you when you deserve some praise for an achievement, for it is they who secretly desire to be worshiped.
52. Do not share your thoughts with people who think that what you are thinking is not worth thinking.
53. When we feel related with our environment we are able to develop and improve the quality of our involvement, since connectedness and concern are remedies against ignorance and envy. (“I only needed a light )
54. Those who are critical don’t like being criticized, and those who are insensitive have a deficiency in their senses.
55. As a moth gnaws a garment, so doth envy consume a [person].
56. The challenge of abating one with a genuine ego problem is to not try to put him down. Any and all antagonization, in his mind, is merely compensated for by his own descriptions: his feelings of persecution by the envious and his ideals of worth. Arguably, the genuine ego is more of a circumstantial defense mechanism rather than a steady arrogance in need of starvation.
57. Don’t show a friend your gift, or your bag of money if you still want to maintain your relationship, but if nay, go on, and all you’ll see is hate and jealousy, and you’ll fight with him in the street like a dog and all you’ll feel is regret.
58. Whenever you should doubt your self-worth, remember the lotus flower.
Even though it plunges to life from beneath the mud, it does not allow the dirt that surrounds it to affect its growth or beauty. Be that lotus flower always. Do not allow any negativity or ugliness in your surroundings destroy your confidence, affect your growth, or make you question your self-worth.
59. She was wearing her fuzzy pink hat and she was happy, which was so obnoxious. She’d become one of those people who waltzed through life without so much as a split end, and I was still one of those people who changed diapers for free but still got treated like a rented mule.
60. Too many people mistook envy for happiness. They believed other people wanting to do the things they were doing was more important than doing things they wanted to do. So they’d edit their photographs and edit their lives and edit and lie until from a distance, it looked like they had the perfect life. But life isn’t something that should be edited. Life shouldn’t be cut. The only way you’ll ever discover what it truly means to be alive and human is by sharing the full experience of what it means to be human and each blemish and freckle that comes with it.