1. It could be that all awful dictators are frustrated artists – Mao with his poetry and Mussolini with his monuments. Stalin was once a journalistic hack, and I can personally testify to how frustrated they are. Pol Pot left a very edgy photo collection behind. And Osama seems quite interested in video.
2. Edgy is fine – I’m not a prude by any stretch of the imagination – but what’s wrong with a good ol’ belly laugh? I miss that.
3. I like the idea of up-and-coming actors nowadays being a little different and not necessarily the drama-school stereotype, being a bit more edgy.
4. I was seen in earlier years by family members and people of authority as somebody wasting his time. I had trouble with the restrictions of conformity. It made me edgy.
5. If I just wear something because I feel like myself and I’m comfortable, that’s okay – and that goes even for more edgy things. But if I try too much, or if I even try, it doesn’t work. It doesn’t feel natural, and I feel very uncomfortable.
6. I like when the ice gets thin, the going gets rough, the guests get edgy.
7. You either have to sing about being scorned by a lover or sing about thinking a boy is cute and wanting him to notice you. That’s about as edgy as you can get.
8. I don’t see it as a bad thing that I surround myself with edgy people. Because they’re interesting.
9. Trendy gadgets and edgy pitches inevitably get replaced due to the fickle nature of the buying public, but a business designed from the start to play big has the ability to weather trends and redirect itself to venues and products that its customers want and need.
10. I like wearing things that other people wouldn’t want to wear, to be a bit edgy.
11. Hollywood is a pretty edgy place.
12. We all feel that if we have a crazy idea that might get laughed at, there’s nothing wrong with seeing if there’s a crazy writer out there who agrees with us and can take it to a crazy network and somehow bring something that’s a little bit daft and edgy to life.
13. I like very girly, retro inspired, feminine, floral things. I’m not very edgy.
14. I don’t think something necessarily has to be mean or cynical to represent ‘edgy.’ I think ‘edgy’ can mean a lot of different things.
15. I’m 42 and the age of a guy who has kids, so I guess I’m playing right where I’m supposed to be. I’m comfortable with that, but in the same breath I’d do something edgy. If someone came to me and offered me an edgy and funny story, then I’d do it.
16. My input for the first 16, 17 years of my life was AM radio, FM radio – pretty mainstream stuff. Rolling Stone was probably as edgy as it got.
16. Even though ripping on those of the Christian cloth is nothing new, edgy, or thought provoking, Hollywood feels the need to do it with each of their religiously overtoned talkies.
17. I guess my style’s a little edgy but comfortable. I like being comfortable, for sure, and kind of casual.
18. I would say that I began with a very edgy, very driven personality and after a sufficient amount of therapy over many, many years, I managed to become rather relaxed and happy.
19. I walk into a restaurant, and people stare as though I’ve just landed from another planet. Every time I walk out in public, it’s like the alien freak show has arrived. It does have its advantages. I hardly ever get bothered by the paparazzi, probably because of some of the more edgy characters I’ve played in movies.
20. I think I’ve been called edgy – but in all honesty, there is a safety in what I do because I’m always the idiot. Unless you’re just listening to buzz words and not taking into account the context of the situation, you see I’m always the ignoramus.
21. For a while there, our writing got really edgy… I’ve always written about experiences, so when your life gets a bit crazy, you start to write songs that are a bit edgy.
22. I like to dress in edgy black leather and denim, but I like a wide range of things.
23. I love that kind of edgy, rock n’ roll punk thing that we do so well in England. But my style adapts to where I am. When I’m in Los Angeles, suddenly I’m like, ‘I need a sandal, and I need a beige dress, and I need some flowers in my hair.’
24. ‘Wonder Showzen’ is one of my favorite shows of all time. When I first saw it, I thought it was so funny and new and original and edgy and insane and subversive. I didn’t know comedy could do that. It redefined what I thought you could do with a TV show.
25. I’m not interested in doing something edgy with a capital E just so everyone knows, ‘Oh, OK, now he’s showing us he can do edgy.’
26. I like beauty to be a bit edgy, not typical. For me, the only rule is looking good.
27. Every day I think, ‘Gosh, I wish I could be like George Carlin, Bill Maher: I want that edge.’ But every time I start to get that edgy thing, I get kind of mean.
28. My habit would have been to veer towards the dark – to prove I was something; edgy, or maybe to prove that I was cognisant of the dark side. Now, with age and confidence, I can say, yeah, that’s true, but I am cognisant of the fact that people can do things well. And can be more loving than you expect.
29. I am edgy, raw, offensive, vulgar, untruthful, but intelligent. My jokes are always realistic. I do not make fun of children or people who cannot fight back. That is my limitation.
30. I hate – I hate – queens coming on and doing boy drag on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ because I feel like it’s not edgy; it’s not different. You can see it anywhere.
31. When we opened in Paris, we opened in the Marais. And when we opened in London, it was in Soho. These aren’t, like, edgy places. These are places where people – and young people – hang out.
32. I don’t want to play everything. So I’ll seek out roles that I’ll say, ‘This is edgy. This is fun. This is wicked. This suits me.’
33. I have to say that Adam Levine is truly a daring young man to go on Twitter to bash Fox News. He’s so rebellious, so subversive. I mean, for a musician, seriously, could you find a more predictable stance than that? He’s as edgy as a hacky sack, which also describes his music.
34. Some comics really thrive on being disrespectful, especially toward women, and it’s somehow understood as edgy, but I’m the opposite. I’ve never liked curse words for that reason.
35. If you live in New York or L.A., and you’re liberal, and you’re playing to a liberal crowd, it’s almost like a rally… it’s not edgy.
37. Humor that is edgy is never squeaky clean.
38. I have a rule – ‘funny is funny!’ When I write comedy, it’s not my aim to upset people. I will be offensive, edgy and immature, but I will also be very intelligent and relevant. At my shows, there are no holy cows.
39. I’m not just edgy, and I’m not just into a tomboy look, and I’m not just girly. I do what I want, and if I like something, I’ll wear it.
40. I wanna sing about something that’s sexy and edgy.
41. My stand-up is clean; it’s not too edgy. I’ve played it safe since the beginning.
42. I’m trying my hand at directing. I’m doing an independent movie that we haven’t started casting yet, but it’s like an edgy version of ‘Lethal Weapon’ and ’48 Hours,’ only with two women in it.
43. I’ve done a lot of films that all have been pretty edgy.
44. I remember going to the East Village for the first time as a fifteen-year-old and going to Tompkins Square Park. That really seemed like a pretty edgy thing to do.
45. I guess edgy things tend to get my attention.
46. I wouldn’t specifically say rock n’ roll is dead, but I don’t see a lot of charismatic performers in the way of new blood who are edgy and dangerous on stage, like Marilyn Manson, who you never quite know if he’s going to make it through his own show.
47. I am that guy who will say things that people seem to think is a little edgy, a little racy.
48. I don’t think people shouldn’t try to be edgy, but you have to take what the audience says to you in consideration.
49. I can pull off a range of outfits from nice, edgy suits to more rugged, casual looks. Your look one day can be totally different than the next day, and for me, it’s all about owning that.
50. I have an attitude. It’s what I do. I’m edgy. I have an attitude.
51. I think I appear very innocent and soft, but I’m actually very dark and edgy. It’s a weird dichotomy.
52. I like to be stylish and edgy, but also low maintenance.
53. I know I don’t look edgy, but I have found that in my personality, I just have this natural energy that I enjoy edgier characters, and I really want a chance to sink my teeth into something like that.
54. Weird, but sometimes I feel more like my cartoon character than I do Lizzie because she’s a little more edgy and snappy.
55. I don’t really know what ‘selling out’ is exactly. I would sell out if I could, but nobody’s buying it. I would love to go mainstream, but my comedy is too edgy. It’s always too dirty. It’s always too filthy. I’m dying to sell out. But I love doing comedy, I love touring, and I think I would do everything for free.
56. With ‘Rachaa’ I get back to action. It has very edgy action.
57. I was like this weird, edgy 10-year-old. I was figuring out who I was, obviously at the worst time. I had braces and bangs, and it was a nightmare.
58. I’m always gonna have the darker edgy music; it is always in my pocket because it comes so naturally to me.
59. Hip-hop for me has always been hardcore and edgy.
60. My style is edgy but really put together. I’m not the kind of girl to walk out of the house in booty shorts and a crop top and Converse. I don’t like that look.