Who is Denis Waitley
Denis E. Waitley (born 1933), is an American motivational speaker, writer and consultant. He has been recognized as the best-selling author of the audio series, The Psychology of Winning and books such as “Seeds of Greatness” and “The Winner’s Edge”. Waitley has been inducted into the International Speakers’ Hall of Fame.
Waitley was born in San Diego, California. His mother was a factory worker and his father worked in a warehouse, after serving during World War II. Waitley’s parents divorced when he was ten and he had little contact with his father thereafter. He attended the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis and became a naval aviator after graduation. Waitley received his Bachelor’s of Science degree from the Naval Academy.
Denis Waitley Quotes
1. We are supposed to forgive everyone; everyone includes ourselves.
2. Chase your passion, not your pension.
3. Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable.
4. Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.
5. There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them
6. Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.
7. It’s not what you are that holds you back, it’s what you think you are
8. Mistakes are painful when they happen, but years later a collection of mistakes is what is called experience.
9. Everything that is past is either a learning experience to grow on, a beautiful memory to reflect on, or a motivating factor to act upon.
10. Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can’t buy more hours. Scientists can’t invent new minutes. And you can’t save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you’ve wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow.
11. The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence
12. Happiness is the experience of living every moment with love, grace and gratitude.
13. The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
14. A dream is your creative vision for your life in the future. You must break out of your current comfort zone and become comfortable with the unfamiliar and the unknown.
15. Virtually nothing on earth can stop a person with a positive attitude who has his goal clearly in sight.
16. You must learn from your past mistakes, but not lean on your past successes.
17. The price of success is to bear the criticism of envy.
18. Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer.
19. If you believe you can, you probably can. If you believe you won’t, you most assuredly won’t. Belief is the ignition switch that gets you off the launching pad.
20. I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street, I met a man who had no feet
21. It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.
22. Get excited and enthusiastic about your own dream. This excitement is like a forest fire – you can smell it, taste it, and see it from a mile away
23. View life as a continuous learning experience.
24. You must understand that seeing is believing, but also know that believing is seeing.
25. You are either the captain or the captive of your thoughts.
26. Life is inherently risky. There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.
27. Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: now.
28. A real friend is the one who comes in when the whole world has gone out
29. Expect the best, plan for the worst and prepare to be surprised.
30. It’s not what you are that holds you back, it’s what you think you’re not
31. Happiness can not be traveled to,owned,earned or worn.It is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love,grace&gratitude.
32. Failures do what is tension relieving while winners do what is goal achieving.
33. It’s not what you are that holds you back, it’s what you think you’re not!
34. Make no mistake. You are your most important critic and your conscience your most important judge of character.
35. To establish true self-esteem we must concentrate on our successes and forget about the failures and the negatives in our lives. – Denis Waitley.
36. The results you achieve will be in direct proportion to the effort you apply.
37. View change as the one constant in your life. Welcome it. Expect it. Anticipate it.
38. Not aptitude….attitude is the criterion for success.
39. It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think your not.
40. The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don’t define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them.
41. Our limitations and success will be based, most often, on your own expectations for ourselves. What the mind dwells upon, the body acts upon.
42. You must continue to gain expertise, but avoid thinking like an expert.
43. A good life is a collection of happy moments.
44. A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside.
45. Winning is coming in fourth, exhausted and encouraged-because last time you came in fifth.
46. Your attitude is either the lock on or key to your door of success.
47. Get out of that comfortable rut.
48. Losers make promises they often break. Winners make commitments they always keep.
49. Make this moment the moment of truth about yourself. You have been selling short all of your life.
50. Goals provide the energy source that powers our lives. One of the best ways we can get the most from the energy we have is to focus it. That is what goals can do for us; concentrate our energy.
51. Winning” is taking the talent or potential you were born with, and have since developed, and using it fully toward a goal or purpose that makes you happy.
52. Break the daily and weekly routine you have set. Get out of that comfortable route.
53. You are your own scriptwriter and the play is never finished, no matter what your age or position in life.
54. There are 2 primary choices in life:
To accept conditions as they exist, or to accept responsibility for changing them.
55. Commitment doesn’t guarantee success, but lack of commitment guarantees you’ll fall short of your potential