Who is Deepak Chopra
Deepak Chopra, born in India on the 22nd October 1946, is an author and advocate of alternative medicines based in the United States of America. He spent his early years in India, where he studied medicine, before choosing to emigrate to America in 1970 to complete studies in medicine and endocrinology. This lead to him becoming chief of staff at the New England Memorial Hospital but chose to resign after getting involved in the Transcendental Meditation movement.
This led Chopra to write books and establish medical centres focused on the mind and body and wellbeing. Chopra believes a human being has the ability to attain a state where they are free from disease, pain, ageing or death, using phrases and concepts including ‘quantum mechanical body’.
Widely criticised by the medical and scientific community, this hasn’t stopped Chopra from becoming one of the most prominent figures in alternative medicine, as well as earning a great deal of money from it. Whether you agree with his theories and teachings or not, what is clear is that he has the ability to persuade others, and his quotations are an insight into the way he communicates his passion for alternative medicine.
Deepak Chopra Quotes
1. Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future.
2. Whatever relationships you have attracted in your life at this moment, are precisely the ones you need in your life at this moment. There is a hidden meaning behind all events, and this hidden meaning is serving your own evolution.
3. According to Vedanta, there are only two symptoms of enlightenment, just two indications that a transformation is taking place within you toward a higher consciousness. The first symptom is that you stop worrying. Things don’t bother you anymore. You become light-hearted and full of joy. The second symptom is that you encounter more and more meaningful coincidences in your life, more and more synchronicities. And this accelerates to the point where you actually experience the miraculous. (quoted by Carol Lynn Pearson in Consider the Butterfly)
4. You must find the place inside yourself where nothing is impossible.
5. When you struggle with your partner, you are struggling with yourself. Every fault you see in them touches a denied weakness in yourself.
6. Holding on to anything is like holding on to your breath. You will suffocate. The only way to get anything in the physical universe is by letting go of it. Let go & it will be yours forever.
7. When you make a choice, you change the future.
8. In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.
9. Walk with those seeking truth… RUN FROM THOSE WHO THINK THEY’VE FOUND IT.
10. The Ego, however, is not who you really are. The ego is your self-image; it is your social mask; it is the role you are playing. Your social mask thrives on approval. It wants control, and it is sustained by power, because it lives in fear.
11. Love doesn’t need reason. It speaks from the irrational wisdom of the heart.
12. Sex is always about emotions. Good sex is about free emotions; bad sex is about blocked emotions.
13. Even when you think you have your life all mapped out, things happen that shape your destiny in ways you might never have imagined.
14. You will be transformed by what you read.
15. Mathematics expresses values that reflect the cosmos, including orderliness, balance, harmony, logic, and abstract beauty.
16. There are many aspects to success; material wealth is only one component. …But success also includes good health, energy and enthusiasm for life, fulfilling relationships, creative freedom, emotional and psychological stability, a sense of well-being, and peace of mind.
17. If you try to get rid of fear and anger without knowing their meaning, they will grow stronger and return.
18. The most creative act you will ever undertake is the act of creating yourself.
19. If you’re really spiritual, then you should be totally independent of the good and the bad opinions of the world…you should have faith in yourself.
20. Happiness for a reason is just another form of misery because the reason can be taken away from us at any time.
21. According to this law [the law of Dharma], you have a unique talent and a unique way of expressing it. There is something that you can do better than anyone else in the whole world–and for every unique talent and unique expression of that talent, there are also unique needs. When these needs are matched with the creative expression of your talent, that is the spark that creates affluence. Expressing your talents to fulfill needs creates unlimited wealth and abundance.
22. If you focus on success, you’ll have stress. But if you pursue excellence, success will be guaranteed.
23. Nothing brings down walls as surely as acceptance.
24. To make the right choices in life, you have to get in touch with your soul. To do this, you need to experience solitude, which most people are afraid of, because in the silence you hear the truth and know the solutions.
25. To acquire true self power you have to feel beneath no one, be immune to criticism and be fearless.
26. people are doing the best that they can from their own level of consciousness.
27. The worst curse to befall anyone is stagnation, a banal existence, the quiet desperation that comes out of a need for conformity.
28. When you dig a well, there’s no sign of water until you reach it, only rocks and dirt to move out of the way. You have removed enough; soon the pure water will flow,” said Buddha.
29. Don’t try to steer the river.
30. What keeps life fascinating is the constant creativity of the soul.
31. The ego relies on the familiar. It is reluctant to experience the unknown, which is they very essence of life.
32. If we are creating ourselves all the time, then it is never too late to begin creating the bodies we want instead of the ones we mistakenly assume we are stuck with.
33. I was very afraid at the beginning, until Master told me that pain isn’t the truth; it’s what you have to get through in order to find the truth.
34. Silence is the great teacher and to learn its lessons you must pay attention to it. There is no substitute for the creative inspiration, knowledge, and stability that come from knowing how to contact your core of inner silence.
35. The secret of attraction is to love yourself. Attractive people judge neither themselves nor others. They are open to gestures of love. They think about love, and express their love in every action. They know that love is not a mere sentiment, but the ultimate truth at the heart of the universe.
36. Non-judgment quiets the internal dialogue, and this opens once again the doorway to creativity.
37. Our biological rhythms are the symphony of the cosmos, music embedded deep within us to which we dance, even when we can’t name the tune.
38. Each of us is a unique strand in the intricate web of life and here to make a contribution.
39. Each of us is here to discover our true selves; that essentially we are spiritual beings who have taken manifestation in physical form; that we’re not human beings that have occasional spiritual experiences, that we’re spiritual beings that have occasional human experiences
40. There are no accidents… there is only some purpose that we haven’t yet understood.
41. The purpose of life is the expansion of happiness.
42. No single decision you ever made has led in a straight line to where you find yourself now. You peeked down some roads and took a few steps before turning back. You followed some roads that came to a dead end and others that got lost at too many intersections. Ultimately, all roads are connected to all other roads.
43. You alone are the judge of your worth and your goal is to discover infinite worth in yourself, no matter what anyone else thinks.
44. At any given time the universe is giving you the best result possible.
45. There is no holy life. There is no war between good and evil. There is no sin and no redemption. None of these things matter to the real you. But they all matter hugely to the false you, the one who believes in the separate self. You have tried to take your separate self, with all its loneliness and anxiety and pride, to the door of enlightenment. But it will never go through, because it is a ghost.
46. The more boundless your vision, the more real you are.
47. Ask for nothing less than inspiration.
48. Religion is a tool to bind people together, to strengthen their unity, but like every tool, it can be mismanaged, even used in opposition to the way it should.
49. The third component of the Law of Dharma is service to humanity–to serve your fellow human beings and to ask yourself the questions,”How can I help? How can I help all those that I come into contact with?” When you combine the ability to express your unique talent with service to humanity, then you make full use of the Law of Dharma.
50. The Universe contains three things that cannot be destroyed; Being, Awareness and LOVE
51. Don’t let a day go by without asking who you are…each time you let a new ingredient to enter your awareness.
52. Be happy for no reason, like a child. If you are happy for a reason, you’re in trouble, because that reason can be taken from you.
53. Meeting a stranger can be totally fleeting and meaningless, for example, unless you enter the individual’s world by finding out at least one thing that is meaningful to his or her life and exchange at lest one genuine feeling. Tuning in to others is a circular flow: you send yourself out toward people; you receive them as they respond to you.
54. Giving connects two people, the giver and the receiver, and this connection gives birth to a new sense of belonging.
55. Pain is not the same as suffering. Left to itself, the body discharges pain spontaneously, letting go of it the moment that the underlying cause is healed. Suffering is pain that we hold on to. It comes from the mind’s mysterious instinct to believe that pain is good, or that it cannot be escaped, or that the person deserves it.
56. The way you think, the way you behave, the way you eat, can influence your life by 30 to 50 years.
57. Give up being right. Instead radiate peace, harmony, love, and laughter from your heart.
58. The present moment dies every moment to become the past , is reborn every moment into the future. All experience is now. Now never ends.
59. You are not the drop in the ocean, but the ocean in the drop.
60. Not every sky will be blue and not every day is springtime. So on the spiritual path a person learns to find this kind of happiness without needing nice things to happen on the outside. Rather, you find happiness by being who you really are. This isn’t mystical. Young children are happy being who they are. The trick is to regain such a state when you are grown and have seen the light and dark sides of life.