Who is David Bowie
David Bowie, the legendary British singer, writer and actor, was born David Robert Jones on the 8th January 1947 in Brixton London. Developing a passion for music at a young age, he studied art and music before starting his musical career in 1963.
Never afraid to experiment and explore his musical passions, his first hit was Space oddity in 1969, followed by a period of Glam Rock inspired creations under his alter ego Ziggy Stardust. In the mid-70s, he experimented further, losing popularity in the UK but winning widespread interest and fame in the United States, where he released electronic inspired albums with Brian Eno, each one hitting the top five of the charts in the UK and critical acclaim across the board.
Bowie’s popularity and success continued, starring in The Man Who Fell to Earth and releasing songs in the later 70s, early 80s, including collaborations with Queen. In his later years, he continued to experiment with styles, as well as acting roles, with his most loved role as the Goblin King in the Labyrinth. His works have sold over 100 million records worldwide, with 11 number one albums, all of which helped him win countless awards. Bowie sadly passed away on the 10th January 2016 but will forever be remembered as one of the greatest musicians of the 20th Century.
David Bowie Quotes
1. I don’t know where I’m going from here, but I promise it won’t be boring.
2. I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human. I felt very puny as a human. I thought, ‘Fuck that. I want to be a superhuman.
3. People are so fucking dumb. Nobody reads anymore, nobody goes out and looks and explores the society and culture they were brought up in. People have attention spans of five seconds and as much depth as a glass of water.
4. Don’t you love the Oxford Dictionary? When I first read it, I thought it was a really really long poem about everything.
5. Turn and face the strange changes.
6. I’m a born librarian with a sex drive
7. Speak in extremes, it’ll save you time.
8. I’m a real self-educated kind of guy. I read voraciously. Every book I ever bought, I have. I can’t throw it away. It’s physically impossible to leave my hand! Some of them are in warehouses. I’ve got a library that I keep the ones I really really like. I look around my library some nights and I do these terrible things to myself–I count up the books and think, how long I might have to live and think, ‘F@#%k, I can’t read two-thirds of these books.’ It overwhelms me with sadness.
9. There’s a terror in knowing what the world is about
10. Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming
11. I’m always amazed that people take what I say seriously. I don’t even take what I am seriously.
12. I’m looking for backing for an unauthorized auto-biography that I am writing. Hopefully, this will sell in such huge numbers that I will be able to sue myself for an extraordinary amount of money and finance the film version in which I play everybody.
13. The truth is, of course, that there is no journey. We are arriving and departing all at the same time.
14. We can be heroes just for one day
15. I’m an instant star, just add water.
16. Once you lose that sense of wonder at being alive, you’re pretty much on the way out
17. I’ll paint you moments of gold, I’ll spin you Valentine evenings.
18. I’m just an individual who doesn’t feel that I need to have somebody qualify my work in any particular way. I’m working for me.
19. If it works, it’s out of date.
20. I can ask for cigarettes in every language
21. Don’t let me hear you say life takes you nowhere, angel.
22. The moment you know you know you know.
23. I’m not a prophet or a stone aged man Just a mortal with potential of a superman I’m living on.
24. As you get older the questions come down to two or three. How long have I got and what am I gonna do with the time I’ve got left?
25. Heathenism is a state of mind. You can take it that I’m referring to one who does not see his world. He has no mental light. He destroys almost unwittingly. He cannot feel any Gods presence in his life. He is the 21st century man.
26. You would think that a rock star being married to a super-model would be one of the greatest things in the world. It is.
27. I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human.
28. Everywhere I looked, demons of the future [were] on the battlegrounds of one’s emotional plane.
29. All art is unstable. Its meaning is not necessarily that implied by the author, There is no authoritative active voice. There are only multiple readings.
30. And I don’t care what anybody says; I like doing it, and it’s what I shall continue to do
31. Confront a corpse at least once. The absolute absence of life is the most disturbing and challenging confrontation you will ever have.
32. The only art I’ll ever study is stuff that I can steal from.
33. On the other hand, what I like my music to do to me is awaken the ghosts inside of me. Not the demons, you understand, but the ghosts.
34. Frankly, I mean, sometimes the interpretations I’ve seen on some of the songs that I’ve written are a lot more interesting than the input that I put in.
35. This is a mad planet,” David Bowie said in 1971. “It’s doomed to madness.
36. I rate Morrissey (Steven Patrick Morrissey) as one of the best lyricists in Britain. For me, he`s up there with Bryan Ferry.
37. I can see light at the end of the tunnel and it isn’t a train.
38. There’s a taste in my mouth and it’s no taste at all.
39. Make the best of every moment. We’re not evolving. We’re not going anywhere.
40. I find only freedom in the realms of eccentricity.
41. Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell, spirituality is for those who’ve been there
42. Sometimes I don’t feel as if I’m a person at all. I’m just a collection of other people’s ideas.
43. It’s always time to question what has become standard and established.
44. If you feel safe in the area you’re working in, you’re not working in the right area. Always go a little further into the water than you feel you’re capable of being in. Go a little bit out of your depth. And when you don’t feel that your feet are quite touching the bottom, you’re just about in the right place to do something exciting.
45. My brother was one of the bigger influences in my life, in as much as he told me I didn’t have to read the choice of books that I as recommended at school, and that I could go out to the library and go and choose my own, and sort of introduced me to authors that I wouldn’t have read.probably. You know, the usual things like the Jack Kerouacs, the Ginsbergs, the ee Cummings and stuff.
46. Aging is an extraordinary process whereby you become the person you always should have been.
47. To not be modest about it, you’ll find that with only a couple of exceptions, most of the musicians that I’ve worked with have done their best work by far with me.
48. I have someone who loves me for me. Seriously, it REALLY helps!
49. A song has to take on character, shape, body and influence people to an extent that they use it for their own devices. It must affect them not just as a song, but as a lifestyle.
50. I’m very at ease, and I like it. I never thought I would be such a family-oriented guy; I didn’t think that was part of my makeup. But somebody said that as you get older you become the person you always should have been, and I feel that’s happening to me. I’m rather surprised at who I am, because I’m actually like my dad
51. If you want it, boys, get it here, thing.
52. He always gets the birthday shit, and nobody even knows I got born. Jimmy Page was born on the ninth, you can make something out of that. But the eighth?
53. I’m a person who can take on the guises of people I meet. I’m a collector, and I collect personalities and ideas.
54. Once I’ve written something it does tend to run away from me. I don’t seem to have any part of it – it’s no longer my piece of writing.
55. It’s a compulsive need to wreck everything. You might notice there’s a pattern of stripping down and building back up again throughout my life. I guess that’s how some of us conduct our lives.
56. I change my mind a lot. I usually don’t agree with what I say very much. I’m an awful liar.
57. But the film is a saddening bore, ’cause I wrote it ten times or more.
58. An dem Tag, an dem du denkst, du kannst nicht mehr besser werden, fängst du an, immer den gleichen Song zu spielen.