Who is Corrie Ten Boom Quotes
Corrie ten Boom and her family helped Jews escape the Nazi Holocaust during World War II and, by all accounts, saved nearly 800 lives.
Cornelia “Corrie” ten Boom grew up in a devoutly religious family. During World War II, she and her family harbored hundreds of Jews to protect them from arrest by Nazi authorities. Betrayed by a fellow Dutch citizen, the entire family was imprisoned. Corrie survived and started a worldwide ministry and later told her story in a book entitled The Hiding Place.
Cornelia Arnolda Johanna ten Boom was born on April 15, 1892, in Haarlem, Netherlands, near Amsterdam. Known as “Corrie” all her life, she was the youngest child, with two sisters, Betsie and Nollie, and one brother, Willem. Their father, Casper, was a jeweler and watchmaker. Cornelia was named after her mother.
Corrie Ten Boom Quotes
1. Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
2. Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.
3. Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.
4. This is what the past is for! Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see.
5. Worrying is carrying tomorrow’s load with today’s strength- carrying two days at once. It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time. Worrying doesn’t empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
6. If you look at the world, you’ll be distressed. If you look within, you’ll be depressed. If you look at God you’ll be at rest.
7. Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open.
8. Do you know what hurts so very much? It’s love. Love is the strongest force in the world, and when it is blocked that means pain. There are two things we can do when this happens. We can kill that love so that it stops hurting. But then of course part of us dies, too. Or we can ask God to open up another route for that love to travel.
9. You can never learn that Christ is all you need, until Christ is all you have.
10. There is no pit so deep, that God’s love is not deeper still.
11. Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire
12. What wings are to a bird, and sails to a ship, so is prayer to the soul
13. In darkness God’s truth shines most clear.
14. Some knowledge is too heavy…you cannot bear it…your Father will carry it until you are able.
15. Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden.
16. And so seated next to my father in the train compartment, I suddenly asked, “Father, what is sexsin?”
He turned to look at me, as he always did when answering a question, but to my surprise he said nothing. At last he stood up, lifted his traveling case off the floor and set it on the floor.
Will you carry it off the train, Corrie?” he said.
I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with the watches and spare parts he had purchased that morning.
It’s too heavy,” I said.
Yes,” he said, “and it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It’s the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger, you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you.
17. Trying to do the Lord’s work in your own strength is the most confusing, exhausting, and tedious of all work. But when you are filled with the Holy Spirit, then the ministry of Jesus just flows out of you.
18. Even as the angry vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the sin of them. Jesus Christ had died for this man; was I going to ask for more? Lord Jesus, I prayed, forgive me and help me to forgive him….Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give me your forgiveness….And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world’s healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives along with the command, the love itself.
19. Don’t bother to give God instructions; just report for duty.
20. Happiness isn’t something that depends on our surroundings…It’s something we make inside ourselves.
21. Dear Jesus…how foolish of me to have called for human help when You are here.
22. It is not my ability, but my response to God’s ability, that counts.
23. when we are powerless to do a thing, it is a great joy that we can come and step inside the ability of Jesus
24. There are no ‘if’s’ in God’s world. And no places that are safer than other places. The center of His will is our only safety – let us pray that we may always know it!
25. There is no panic in Heaven! God has no problems, only plans.
26. If God has shown us bad times ahead, it’s enough for me that He knows about them. That’s why He sometimes shows us things, you know – to tell us that this too is in His hands.
27. Worry is a cycle of inefficient thoughts whirling around a center of fear.
28. God’s viewpoint is sometimes different from ours – so different that we could not even guess at it unless He had given us a Book which tells us such things….In the Bible I learn that God values us not for our strenght or our brains but simply because He has made us.
29. Whenever we cannot love in the old, human way . . . God can give us the perfect way.
30. Forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hatred. It is a power that breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness.
31. Love is larger than the walls which shut it in.
32. Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.
33. When I try, I fail.
When I trust,
34. Today I know that such memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do.
35. And our wise Father in heaven knows when we’re going to need things too. Don’t run out ahead of Him.
36. Father sat down on the edge of the narrow bed. “Corrie,” he began gently, “when you and I go to Amsterdam-when do I give you your ticket?”
I sniffed a few times, considering this.
“Why, just before we get on the train.”
“Exactly. And our wise Father in heaven knows when we’re going to need things, too. Don’t run out ahead of Him, Corrie. When the time comes that some of us will have to die, you will look into your heart and find the strength you need-just in time.
37. …..joy runs deeper than despair.
38. Perhaps only when human effort had done it’s best and failed, would God’s power alone be free to work.
39. When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don’t throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.
40. Mama’s love had always been the kind that acted itself out with soup pot and sewing basket. But now that these things were taken away, the love seemed as whole as before. She sat in her chair at the window and loved us. She loved the people she saw in the street– and beyond: her love took in the city, the land of Holland, the world. And so I learned that love is larger than the walls which shut it in.
41. Faith is like radar that sees through the fog — the reality of things at a distance that the human eye cannot see.
42. (on forgiveness) Didn’t he and I stand together before an all seeing God convicted of the same murder? For I had murdered him with my heart and my tongue.
43. How often it is a small, almost unconscious event that makes a turning point.
44. The tree on the mountain takes whatever the weather brings. If it has any choice at all, it is in putting down roots as deeply as possible.”—Each New Day
45. Child, you have to learn to see things in the right proportions. Learn to see great things great and small things small.
46. And for all these people alike, the key to healing turned out to be the same. Each had a hurt he had to forgive.
47. No pit is so deep that God is not deeper still
48. We never know how God will answer our prayers, but we can expect that He will get us involved in His plan for the answer. If we are true intercessors, we must be ready to take part in God’s work on behalf of the people for whom we pray.
49. We are up against the unseen power that controls this dark world and the spiritual agents are from the very headquarters of evil. Therefore, we must wear the “whole armour of God,” that we may be able to resist evil in its day of power, and that even when we have fought to a standstill, we may still stand our ground.
50. All through the short afternoon they kept coming, the people who counted themselves Father’s friends. Young and old, poor and rich, scholarly gentlemen and illiterate servant girls—only to Father did it seem that they were all alike. That was Father’s secret: not that he overlooked the differences in people; that he didn’t know they were there.
51. You may never know that JESUS is all you need, until JESUS is all you have.
52. When you are covered by His wings, it can get pretty dark.
53. Oh, this was the great ploy of Satan in that kingdom of his: to display such blatant evil one could almost believe one’s own secret sin didn’t matter.
54. If the devil cannot make us bad, he will make us busy.
55. Surely there is no more wretched sight that the human body unloved and uncared for.
56. If God sends us on strong paths, we are provided strong shoes.
57. No hatred
58. When He tells us to love our enemies He gives, along with the command, the love itself.
59. He uses our problems for His miracles. This was my first lesson in learning to trust Him completely…
60. No pit is so deep that He is not deeper still; with Jesus even in our darkest moments, the best remains and the very best is yet to be.