1. Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.
2. So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.
3. You are — your life, and nothing else.
4. All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
5. I’m worried that students will take their obedient place in society and look to become successful cogs in the wheel – let the wheel spin them around as it wants without taking a look at what they’re doing. I’m concerned that students not become passive acceptors of the official doctrine that’s handed down to them from the White House, the media, textbooks, teachers and preachers.
6. That initial anger she had felt turned to sadness, and now it had become something else, almost a dullness of sorts. Even though she was constantly in motion, it seemed as if nothing special ever happened to her anymore. Each day seemed exactly like the last, and she had trouble differentiating among them.
7. Whereas it appeareth that however certain forms of government are better calculated than others to protect individuals in the free exercise of their natural rights, and are at the same time themselves better guarded against degeneracy, yet experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny; and it is believed that the most effectual means of preventing this would be, to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people at large, ….whence it becomes expedient for promoting the publick happiness that those persons, whom nature hath endowed with genius and virtue, should be rendered by liberal education worthy to receive, and able to guard the sacred deposit of the rights and liberties of their fellow citizens, and that they should be called to that charge without regard to wealth, birth or accidental condition of circumstance.
8. There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.
9. You will never be entirely comfortable. This is the truth behind the champion – he is always fighting something. To do otherwise is to settle.
10. You or I might think that at least one would show courage and put up a fight. But neither you nor I have suffered as they, and even we have born witness in silence to lesser ills under less dire threat. Yet, in the face of evil, to sit silent is an even greater evil. Complacency is ever the enabler of darkest deeds;
11. Human beings, as I know better than most, can get used to anything. Over time, even the unthinkable gradually wears a little niche for itself in your mind and becomes just something that happened.
12. Americans will put up with anything provided it doesn’t block traffic.
13. To exchange all the goodness and grace of every life in Omelas for that single, small improvement: to throw away the happiness of thousands for the chance of the happiness of one: that would be to let guilt within the walls indeed.
14. A person is not like a thing that you put down in one place and leave, a person moves, thinks, asks, questions, doubts, investigates, probes, and while it is true that, out of a long habit of resignation, he sooner or later ends up looking as if he has submitted to the objects, don’t go thinking that this apparent submission is necessarily permanent.
15. You all know,” said the Guide, “that security is mortals’ greatest enemy.
16. Never be complacent about the current steps; don’t agree and follow the status quo. Be determined that you are making an indelible impact with great change. Now, dress up and go to make it happen!
16. To think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted
17. We just wanna be the happy bums that we are. That’s all.
18. The sun’s champagne streamed from one body into another. And there was a couple on the green silk of the grass, covered by a raspberry umbrella. Only their feet and a little bit of lace could be seen. In the magnificent universe beneath the raspberry umbrella, with closed eyes, they drank in the sparkling madness.
‘Extra! Extra! Zeppelins over the North Sea at 3 o’clock.’
But under the umbrella, in the raspberry universe, they were immortal. What did it matter that in another far-away universe people would be killing each other?
19. And like blots upon the landscape rose the cupolas above the ways to the Underworld. I understood now what all the beauty of the Upperworld people covered. Very pleasant was their day, as pleasant as the day of the cattle in the eld. Like the cattle, they knew of no enemies and provided against no needs. And their end was the same.
20. Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
21. Complacency delivered us into the hands of evil greedy men like Cheney.
22. The simple rule to abide by and become excellent is that “Don’t see what you have achieved yesterday with the same pleasure eyes you used to see it when it was done by you”. Look forward and do better than you did earlier!
23. Revolutions ‘go too far’: if your community is ready for you, then you are too late. You must challenge your community. You must throw down the gauntlet of freedom to your community and dare it to accept. Revolutions are by nature uncomfortable. They are meant to discombobulate.
How else would the status quo be overthrown? Revolutions rattle the privileged and discomfort the complacent. They are never about the comfortable majority. Rather, it is always the minority, especially those who are caught by the intersection of multiple oppressions, who instigate and inspire.
24. Complacency has taken the place of outrage and demands for justice have been substituted for trending hashtags and unified profile pictures.
25. The reason some people won’t go to heaven is because they said some people won’t go to heaven.
26. An effective method often deceives us into thinking that it is the only effective one, or the most effective.
27. We should walk through the valley of the shadow of death, not just pitch a tent and camp there.
28. Our Biggest Enemy Will Always Be Complacency
29. I could not deny that in this attractive city, without compelling assignments or any deadlines to reach for, all painful catalysts for growth had been eliminated, erased from my existence like the rogue lines in a sketch—the unexpected marks that make the picture’s expression passionate and real, gone now. Living here, I was growing complacent again, seduced by a stagnant state of mind I hated to indulge—
30. Running away was not like it was in stories. People did not try and stop you. They did not give chase. The thing people didn’t understand was that you had to decide what you were running away from. Most of the time it wasn’t mothers or fathers or monsters or villains; most of the time you were running away from that little voice inside your head, the one telling you to stay where you are, that everything will turn out all right.
15. I would rather drown in the depths of Love than splash around on the shore of complacency.
16. Don’t become complacent because ‘things could be worse’ but rather get busy because ‘things could be better’.
17. If you don’t learn to be happy with your present, you will never be happy with your future which would be your present one day.
18. Life is for living not for been stuck in a rut of complacency where normality consists of the mundane.
19. To move forward, one need only take the first step,
20. To do nothing, to be complacent, is to act in a way that supports the way things are. – The Malwatch
21. The dream is over only when you have become complacent.
22. If there were no beginnings and if there were no endings, we would have the absence of inertia and the presence of stagnation.
23. Your reluctance to grow may be feeding your illusion of safety, but truth is, it’s a big sign of cowardice. You’re actually rejecting a HUGE OPPORTUNITY to learn how to meet the deeper needs of others.
24. I’ll be honest with you, the number one reason for all of my past break ups was too much complacency. I’m not perfect, but I just know I’m not cut out for mediocrity in any shape or form. Moreover, I think this has a lot to do with my life purpose as well. I believe I was not brought into this world to turn complacent women into passionate women, but rather to turn passionate women into goddesses.
25. When pride gets in the way, who you think you are doesn’t allow you to be who you need to be.
26. I realized that no one can ever take anything from the Lord for granted, not the prosperity of the Church, not its vast army of missionaries, not its beautiful meeting houses and temples, nor the wealth and comfort he may enjoy. If apathy or complacency or unrighteousness reigns in the heart of a Saint, the gospel will be stripped away and given to another, more responsible steward.
27. It is hard to rage against the machine when you are always using one.
28. Poor motivation and alertness cause complacency
29. Sensuality is what’s going to help you keep up with the chase of your partner’s constantly evolving nature.
30. Complacency is the enemy, Mycroft, not xenophobia. An old phoenix needs burning
31. Beware of success. It can knock you into a fixed mindset: “I won because I have talent. Therefore I will keep winning.” Success can infect a team or it can infect an individual.
32. We cannot pander or wait for consensus; the world is too big and complicated and rigged. We are saying the things that people don’t like.
33. Walt Trowbridge conducted his campaign as placidly as though he were certain to win. He did not spare himself, but he did not moan over the Forgotten Men (he’d been one himself, as a youngster, and didn’t think it was so bad!) nor become hysterical at a private bar in a scarlet-and-silver special tram. Quietly, steadfastly, speaking on the radio and in a few great halls, he explained that he did advocate an enormously improved distribution of wealth, but that it must be achieved by steady digging and not by dynamite that would destroy more than it excavated. He wasn’t particularly thrilling. Economics rarely are, except when they have been dramatized by a Bishop, staged and lighted by a Sarason, and passionately played by a Buzz Windrip with rapier and blue satin tights.
34. Stop thinking of love as a security. Sensuality is the new security.
35. It is essential, then, to keep one’s attention focused on the present; to guard against any complacency creeping in on account of what one may have achieved in the past.
36. Helen racked her brains. Advice? Surely they needed advice? Of course they needed advice; she reviewed, in a flash, the whole unsatisfactory condition of Greystones, of her state of mind, of life itself. How can we stop the drain flooding whenever it rains? Why do I have to feel guilty because my mother has died? How can I achieve a comforting complacency?
37. We are living in a time bursting with opportunity while laden with risk! Seize the moment! There is no greater risk than complacency!
38. Talking to her, he realized how easy it was to present an appearance of orthodoxy while having no grasp whatever of what orthodoxy meant.
39. Love is old security. Sensuality is new security.
40. If you once believed that everything always turns out well in the end, you can be persuaded that nothing turns out well in the end. If you once did nothing because you thought progress is inevitable, then you can continue to do nothing because you think time moves in repeating cycles.
41. The quickest way to run out of time is to think you have enough of it,
42. I’m always amazed at the human capacity to not make fundamental changes, but instead merely adapt. I see these pictures of people in Beijing and New Delhi, walking around with masks on, because you can’t walk outside your house and breathe? If you can’t breathe?…If that’s not the cue to make a fundamental change, I don’t know what is!
43. The world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it.
44. Mediocrity is a pit that swallows people who have rested on seats of complacency for long.
45. The problem with the ‘herd’ is that our voice is never ‘heard’.
46. Don’t be deceived by the spirit of complacency and think you have achieved enough. Try to become better than you’ve been.
47. We are being bought off by our affair with the contemporary drug of choice: ease.
48. He told me that I hadn’t done anything yet. Hadn’t lived yet. All you do is pass the time, he said.
49. If truth be told, the easy road is nothing more than an armchair in clever disguise. And if you look around, it seems that there are a whole lot of people in the furniture business.
50. Celebrate your achievements, but never let them sink you into the pool of complacency.
51. People who become successful take every “today’s victory” as a rehearsal for tomorrows trophy.
52. Your previous accomplishments should be your stepping stones; you need them to jump up. They should not become beds that should keep you comfortably sleeping.
53. An ambitious amateur will rise above a complacent master.
54. All through their relationship, Harry was the one in charge, Harry was the one who gave them direction. This wasn’t because Harry was smarter or even better at it than Craig was; it just meant more to him, to be in control. And Craig didn’t really care, so he ceded it away. He liked not being responsible all the time.
Complacency. Craig realizes now that this was complacency. One of the reasons he liked the sound of Harry’s voice was because it meant he didn’t have to use his own. But eventually this strategy backfired. Eventually Harry realized what was happening, and didn’t feel right about it. He wanted Craig to fight a little more, but by the time Craig started fighting for them to stay together, he had already lost.
55. People want to feel good, be entertained, eat salty shit, and cum twice a week, and provided they do they’ll stay quiet.
56. Escape the repetitive whirl wind that life can become through complacency.
57. We don’t have a good excuse before God if our nation and people are suffering as a result of our complacency
58. It’s impossible to be neutral when even doing nothing is a decision.
59. Take your current success as the beginning of your journey and you will keep breaking your own records.
60.Achieving success is hard; staying successful is even harder.