1. Human greatness does not lie in wealth or power, but in character and goodness. People are just people, and all people have faults and shortcomings, but all of us are born with a basic goodness.
2. To aid life, leaving it free, however, that is the basic task of the educator.
3. We are not even close to finishing the basic dream of what the PC can be.
4. I listen to anything anyone gives me. I always go back to a few basic favorites. I can always listen to Django Reinhardt and hear something I haven’t heard before. I like to listen to Art Tatum and Coltrane and Charlie Parker. Those are guys who never seem to run out of ideas.
5. I can’t in good conscience allow the U.S. government to destroy privacy, internet freedom and basic liberties for people around the world with this massive surveillance machine they’re secretly building.
6. Safety and security are the most basic job of government. I understand that – both as a mayor who works every day to secure public safety and reduce crime, and also as someone who deployed in uniform to Afghanistan because I believed joining the military was part of my duty to help keep my country safe.
7. We should raise fierce flames of innovations in the vanguard sectors, basic industrial sectors, and all other sectors of the national economy.
8. The basic problems facing the world today are not susceptible to a military solution.
9. The basic science is very well established; it is well understood that global warming is due to greenhouse gases. What is uncertain is projections about specifics in the next few decades, by how much will the climate change.
10. As work in neurosciences indicates, the acquisition of literacy necessitated a new circuit in our species’ brain more than 6,000 years ago. That circuit evolved from a very simple mechanism for decoding basic information, like the number of goats in one’s herd, to the present, highly elaborated reading brain.
11. As basic rules of a language must be practiced continually, and therefore are never fixed, so exercises toward distinct color effects never are done or over. New and different cases will be discovered time and again.
12. I tend to like the most basic pieces with the perfect fit and fabric, like a simple tank.
13. Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children’s future. And we are all mortal.
14. We have now just enshrined, as soon as I sign this bill, the core principle that everybody should have some basic security when it comes to their healthcare.
15. Today we are engaged in a deadly global struggle for those who would intimidate, torture, and murder people for exercising the most basic freedoms. If we are to win this struggle and spread those freedoms, we must keep our own moral compass pointed in a true direction.
16. For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children’s futures. And we are all mortal.
17. Let us remember we are all part of one American family. We are united in common values, and that includes belief in equality under the law, basic respect for public order, and the right of peaceful protest.
18. The most basic question is not what is best, but who shall decide what is best.
19. If I get to be president, what can I do anyway? With Congress and the press, what chance do I have to make basic changes?
20. The most basic duty of government is to defend the lives of its own citizens. Any government that fails to do so is a government unworthy to lead.
21. All religions try to benefit people, with the same basic message of the need for love and compassion, for justice and honesty, for contentment.
22. The basic fact about human existence is not that it is a tragedy, but that it is a bore. It is not so much a war as an endless standing in line.
23. There is no person in this room whose basic rights are not involved in any successful defiance to the carrying out of court orders.
24. Having a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing seems to me to be one of the most basic principles that you can adopt to contribute to individual and world peace.
25. I believe everyone should have a broad picture of how the universe operates and our place in it. It is a basic human desire. And it also puts our worries in perspective.
26. Of the billionaires I have known, money just brings out the basic traits in them. If they were jerks before they had money, they are simply jerks with a billion dollars.
27. I think one of the basic reasons men make good friends is that they can make up their minds quickly.
28. My basic influence had probably been Peter Max.
29. I believe in innovation and that the way you get innovation is you fund research and you learn the basic facts.
30. Government isn’t that good at rapid advancement of technology. It tends to be better at funding basic research. To have things take off, you’ve got to have commercial companies do it.
31. Real art is basic emotion. If a scene is handled with simplicity – and I don’t mean simple – it’ll be good, and the public will know it.
32. I think I should learn French and be a better cook – basic, really good life stuff.
33. There is not enough funding for basic sciences in India. We have to invest in a big way, and I am pushing that idea.
34. I always have a basic plot outline, but I like to leave some things to be decided while I write.
35. The reason actors, artists, writers have agents is because we’ll do it for nothing. That’s a basic fact – you gotta do it.
36. The most basic and somehow forgettable thing is this: Love is not pain. Love is goodness. And real love–it’s less shiny than solid and simple.
37. America is a Nation with a mission – and that mission comes from our most basic beliefs. We have no desire to dominate, no ambitions of empire. Our aim is a democratic peace – a peace founded upon the dignity and rights of every man and woman.
38. It is a strange fact that freedom and equality, the two basic ideas of democracy, are to some extent contradictory. Logically considered, freedom and equality are mutually exclusive, just as society and the individual are mutually exclusive.
39. The basic premise of ‘A Course in Miracles’ is that it teaches us to relinquish thoughts based on fear and to accept instead thoughts based on love.
40. We’ve become, now, an oligarchy instead of a democracy. I think that’s been the worst damage to the basic moral and ethical standards to the American political system that I’ve ever seen in my life.
41. Basically it starts with four months of training, just basic stretching, kicking and punching. Then you come to the choreography and getting ready to put the dance together.
42. Coaching courses are still much too theoretical, and this is what you see reflected in the basic technical skills of the average player. I even see things deteriorating.
43. Listening is active. At its most basic level, it’s about focus, paying attention.
44. But I think talent as a writer is hard-wired in, it’s all there, at least the basic elements of it. You can’t change it any more than you can choose whether to be right handed or left handed.
45. To me, basic SEAL training was a lifetime of challenges crammed into six months.
46. My wife and I make the bed every morning, but it’s a queen size bed today, as opposed to a rack, you know, a small single bed, which I had in basic SEAL training.
47. We did have a script, but it didn’t consist of the routines and gags. It outlined the basic story idea and just a plan for us to follow. But when it came to each scene, we and the gagmen would work out ideas.
48. Once you fully apprehend the vacuity of a life without struggle, you are equipped with the basic means of salvation.
49. My commitment to the security and future of Israel is based upon basic morality as well as enlightened self-interest. Our role in supporting Israel honors our own heritage.
50. I don’t think soldiers should be anywhere in the world. I mean, that is a moral and a basic philosophy. I think that the only way to end wars is to have no military and to find other ways in which – I think we should suspend all nuclear weapons.
51. I think the attraction of ‘American Idol’ is about the basic human nature attitude that is, ‘We can put you up there. But we can take you down.
52. We cannot ‘fix’ the police without a revolution of values and radical change to the basic structure of our society.
53. We cannot ‘fix’ the police without a revolution of values and radical change to the basic structure of our society.
54. Fundamental progress has to do with the reinterpretation of basic ideas.
55. I can install toilets. I know all about the wax ring. I can tile floors. I’m learning how to do basic wiring.
56. Work while you work, play while you play – this is a basic rule of repressive self-discipline.
57. Celebrity – I don’t even know what that means. Obviously it’s the same basic word as celebration, but I don’t know what’s being celebrated.
58. There will be, I think, an attempt to grasp again the surprise and accidents of nature and a more intimate and sympathetic study of its moods, together with a renewed wonder and humility on the part of such as are still capable of these basic reactions.
59. The basic challenge of any book is you know you’re going to be working on it for three or four years or more. So you want to have a subject that will keep you engaged.
60. The possibility of a scientific treatment of history means a wider experience, a greater maturity of practical reason, and finally a fuller realization of certain basic ideas regarding the nature of life and time.